New GameType. Where can I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GameType. Where can I start?

Hello everyone long time no see. Its been atleast 4 years since any modding for Unreal Tournament so my memory on some scripting is a bit fuzzy so please forgive me for asking a simple question.

Alright on subject I wish to create a new game type. Where can I learn to make one and how?

Thanks, Ajm113.

The source code (available for download at the UnrealWiki site) is the single best information location. I would recommend that you go through/read the GameInfo class and UnrealMPGame classes first, then maybe the DeathMatch class.

If I were you, I would first clearly layout/list exactly how you want the game to play (how scoring will work, teams, any special damage rules etc.). Once you start digging into the source code, it will really help you to keep your goals in mind. Figure out if there are any gametypes that are similar to yours that you can subclass from, or that have features similar to what you want. Open the source code for them and then start studying.

There are several other classes that can affect gameplay in cool ways. Mutators of course and then also GameRules. These can easily change how scoring is handled, how damage is dealt etc. with very minimal effort.

The other thing to keep in mind is whether or not you will need to add any special Bot AI. Each Game type can specify what type of TeamAI it uses (which in turn contain what type of SquadAI). Don't be intimidated by the AI code, the only difficult thing about it is the size, and there are already lots of other gametypes to use as examples.

Comment

Thanks for your post. I don't want to really say what it is, but think of it as dodge ball and last man standing.

Comment

Working...
      X