A way to make a vec seem heavier, suspension ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A way to make a vec seem heavier, suspension ?s

I'm making a large vehicle with some kinda funky suspension, and when I set the Vecs mass to 9 or so to make it seem heavier, it gets the front wheels stuck into the ground. When i set its mass to 6 or so, it seems to not get the wheels stuck as much (but some still), but it acts like it's really light. The drawscale is set at 1.3, so it's not TOO out there. Basically, I want it to act heavier (less movement from weapons hits, and less bouncing when going on/off the throttle), and to eliminate getting stuck in the ground. Also, it does some weird things that make it seem like it's too light, like when you start going forward,then let off, , the rear wheels come off the ground. Is there a way to move the center of gravity in code, as opposed to moving it in the modeling prog? Thanks, Greg.

Random comments:
    • KMass in KParams also affects "weight".
    • WheelPenScale and WheelSoftness combine to make suspension hard or soft, smooth or bouncy.
    • DrawScale is purely visual.
    • KCOMOffset in KParams offsets the Center-Of-Mass.
    • MomentumMult determines how badly the vehicle is affected by weapons fire. A higher value will make the vehicle feel heavier when taking fire.

Comment

Well, , that's pretty f-ing thorough, , thanks. I didn't realize Drawscale was purely visual, I remember screwing a vec up so it had to have a drawscale of like 10, and it handled really weird, but I don't know how, I just remember it didn't work well. Is there a trick for keeping the wheels from poking into the terrain? I've been messing with wheelpenscale and wheelsoftness, and I'm getting close to getting that where I need it, but I believe KCOMOffset is the thing that will help alot. I'll mess with KMass also, does it work different than vehiclemass? Vehiclemass made the vec act strangely, like it was too heavier in some ways and too light in others. I adjusted some of that by dividing the momentum up in 'takedamage', which I would guess MomentumMult will also do. Thanks It looks like this is what I need. -Greg.

Comment

In fact... don't use DrawScale at all! I had some issues with it. The Karma collision boxes may not properly scale. Just scale the model in UEd or in whatever app you made it.

For the wheels... I think the WheelRadius of each wheel has to be sufficiently large.

KMass... I think acts as a sort of multiplier to gravitational force. Or rather as a divisor to Karma forces.

VehicleMass is best for values between 1 and 20. Things can get a little strange over that.

Wheeled vehicles are the hardest to tweak properly. I've had hours of "fun" getting them to handle properly. Just start with what works, like the Hellbender and carefully modify one setting at a time from there. You know about the get and set (and perhaps editobject) console commands, right? They're a big help.

Comment

For the wheels... I think the WheelRadius of each wheel has to be sufficiently large.
          Doesn't wheelradius have to match the model, , else the wheels will float over the ground it it is too large, or press into the ground if it is too small? I thought wheelradius was only for the looks of it and the calculation of speed. .

You know about the get and set (and perhaps editobject) console commands, right? They're a big help.
          I've used them, but mostly I do not. I probably will with this, but what you posted has gotten me within 95% of where I want. I've not been able to make the wheels get stuck into the ground, , so It's getting close. Thanks, Greg

Comment

Working...
          X