Changing dodge controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing dodge controls

Hi, I want to program a mutator that makes it so when you hold the walk button and press a movement key in any direction, you dodge in that direction instead of walking. However, I just cannot figure out how to accomplish this. Could someone point me in the right direction?

You will at minimum need a new playercontroller class or pawn class. Switching out the playercontroller with a custom one is very easy through a mutator. Changing the pawn (and still retaining the selected character mesh) involves a somewhat larger amount of code. IIRC the unrealwiki has examples of how to do this. If you can't find it there, I can also post some code examples later (or search some of my other posts on this or the beyondunreal forums)
    EDIT: Ok here's the link with Parser's code sample for switching the pawn class. And then see my post here about switching the playercontroller class.

Comment

Thanks for replying. I'm very new at this, just finished playing around with the default properties of weapons and such, and I was looking for something a little bit harder. Looking through the playercontroller and pawn classes, I think it's possible I may have bitten off more than I can chew! If you could give me a better idea of what exactly I need to do with the new playercontroller class or pawn class without giving it all away (so I can work through some myself and learn more), that would be great.

Comment

mh, the problem with replacing the Pawn/PlayerController is, that this might break some other mutators.

I think it would also work with an interaction: there you should be able to grap the key and trigger the dodge manually by calling the function in the PlayerController/Pawn (?) which starts the dodge (dunno what it is called )

Comment

Working...
        X