Help with editing .ini files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with editing .ini files

Okay so the deal is that I put all mod files in to main UT2k4 folders, rather than, for example C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 2004\Chaos UT2\System, I put the files in to C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 2004\System. Okay so I did this KNOWING it would cause some small problems. The game starts, I can start a match (kinda, I'll explain) and all that good stuff. My primary problems are: When UT2k4 starts, it plays TWO menu themes, one from I think ChaosUT or another mod, and then the other is the original theme, but they're playing simultaneously...kinda annoying. I know I can fix this by editing some .ini file or another, I just don't know where to begin... Second problem is the aforementioned: In the list of game types, all my custom types show, but the list of the default types is empty, also another .ini or other file problem. I wouldn't have done this is I wasn't having other problems such as crashes that could be solved by this method, but they were, and now I have just a few minor bugs. PLEASE any and all help is welcome.

Something you should know: The UnrealEngine is a bit picky about files and directories containing spaces in their names. Particularly you should NEVER install the game in directories like "Program files" or call its install directory "Unreal Tournament 2004".
    Also, total conversion mods MUST NOT be dropped into the main UT2004 folders. Not only could you accidently override essential files and basically render your installed copy useless for online play. You will also experience all kinds of problems, as you already noticed.

In short:
    • Recommended install locations: "C:\UT2004", "C:\Games\UT2004", "D:\UT2004", etc. (no space characters!)
    • Always put mods in their own directories if the readme tells you to.

Comment

Will do thanks for the advice. The only reason I really did that is cause I'm SUPER effing picky about my weapon replacement mods working. I can't get SwitchArsenal to show the ChaosUT weapons in the list unless I put the files in there. I dunno. You designed the Worm utilities, right? If so, your help in particular would be so highly appreciated. I use worm2k4 also, only thing is replacing ammo can become difficult. I've kinda given up on SA2k4 though.

Comment

Actually I'm not involved in the development of any of the various Weapon/Object Replacement Mutators (WORM). I was somewhat involved in Chaos UT 2 development a long time ago. They decided to make it a TC mod, which I always considered a bad decision, to be honest. The first versions were just mutators, gametypes and player models.

It might be possible to still get them to work that way, but when throwing TC mods into the main UT2004 directories you have to be extremely careful to not replace any UT2004 files, especially INI files.
        Another option would be to simply include the mod directories into the main Paths list under [Core.System] in UT2004.ini.

Comment

Working...
        X