Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello World to in-game Chat?

Hello,

I've been lookin around the net for a few weeks trying to figure out how to create a mutator that will send a "Hello World" message to individual clients as they join a net game.

I can make it go to the Log, but I can't figure out how to make it appear in the player chat.

I can't seem to find a clear example of this. As I am trying to get it to only be sent to the player that joins, and not to everyone.

Can anyone help? it is for UT2004.

This is the code i use to advertise server side actors I make (it's in the tick function). It puts the text in the center of the players screen
    if you have clinet side access (ex via a mutator) there is an easier way, plus you can actually put the text in the player chat part of the screen, but I don't have any examples off hand
    Code:
        //Advertise self to new players
        if (bAdvertise)
        {
            bMessaged = False;

ii=min(4, sAdvertiseString.Length);

foreach DynamicActors(class'PlayerController', PC)
            {
                if (PC != None)
                {
                    for (i=0;i<aPC.Length;i++)
                        if(aPC[i] == PC)
                            bMessaged = True;

//If player controller was not already saved, message player, save controller
                    if (!bMessaged)
                    {
                        if(bCEGDebug)
                            log(sIDTag$"Messaging player");

PC.ClearProgressMessages();
                        PC.SetProgressTime(fAdvertiseTime);
                        for (iii=0;iii<ii;iii++)
                            PC.SetProgressMessage(iii, sAdvertiseString[iii], cAdvertiseColor);

aPC[aPC.Length] = PC;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    Any questions about the above just ask

Comment

How about using IsRelevant() to see when a PlayerController has been created and put it in an array. Then use Tick() to see if each PlayerControllers in it has a PlayerReplicationInfo and if it does, monitor the PlayerReplicationInfo until bReceivedPing is true. Then use PlayerController.ReceivedLocalizedMessage(class'My MessageClass');

Comment

Thank you for the replys

Originally posted by Jrubzjeknf View Post
        How about using IsRelevant() to see when a PlayerController has been created and put it in an array. Then use Tick() to see if each PlayerControllers in it has a PlayerReplicationInfo and if it does, monitor the PlayerReplicationInfo until bReceivedPing is true. Then use PlayerController.ReceivedLocalizedMessage(class'My MessageClass');
        This sounds perfect. But I don't understand the "class'MyMessageClass" bit. I'm guessing I can't just put a string of text in there?

I have seen some people specify strings in the default properties at the bottom of a mutator. like this maybe...

{
        someString="Hello";
        }

can that be used to replace "class'MyMessageClass", like this "PlayerController.ReceivedLocalizedMessage(default .someString);"?

Or am I completely on the wrong?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated!!!

Comment

Look at who ReceivedLocalizedMessage is used.

Comment

Level.Game.Broadcast() outputs to the chat text. You'd have to figure out some way to only make it run locally for the player that just joined.

Comment

Hello again,,

If i do this .... Level.Game.Broadcast(none, "Hello World", 'Say' );

it outputs it to the player chat, but it adds a ":" to the end of it, so it displays it as "Hello World:"

Is there anyway to remove the : from teh end of it? As I just can't seem to get my head around the "ReceivedLocalizedMessage()" function.

cheers

Comment

I can't remember a ":". Perhaps that is added because you supply none as sender.

Comment

Working...
                X