Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coding in UEd - no syntax highlights?

Hi everyone,

Well, as absurd as it seems, my UnrealEd doesn't support unrealscript syntax highlights (!!!!!!)

When I open some class in the Actor Classes Browser, it shows the syntax highlights in the pre-existing code, but when I write new code it doesn't highlight what I write. That kinda kills the highlighting purpose.

(EDIT: I'm using UT2004 ECE v3369)

Yes, I know I'm not supposed to use UEd for coding due to some limitations, but that's surreal.

If you ever used UEd for coding, please tell me if it's just me or if you had that problem too.

Thanx

http://www.wotgreal.com/

Don't be scared, and only use it coding, not compiling. For compiling, use UMake: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/UMake.

Comment

Well I'm not going to do any retail game so I don't see any reason to use a pay program to do my modding. Although I have already used WOTgreal and I know it's an excellent IDE for unrealscript.

The way I see it, UnrealEd should be the first choice, since it was designed for, well... Unreal editing... and it comes with Unreal. It would be great if I didn't need any more programs.

Also, I like the way UnrealEd displays the complete DefaultProperties for each class, with every inherited property from parent classes, so you don't have to browse every friggin parent class to see the DefaultProperties your class is inheriting.

I just want to know if this problem I described in the first post is common to everyone or if it's just something I did wrong. Have you guys ever tried UEd for coding? I know I can reinstall my UT2004 and patches to find out but I'm trying to avoid that.

Comment

for the record mine doesnt highlight any new code I write either. (I just tested it in the editor for the first time! ) I use textpad instead btw.

Comment

It only shows the highlighting after you compile, and I think double click the class again.

WOTGreal rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by fred450 View Post
            Well I'm not going to do any retail game so I don't see any reason to use a pay program to do my modding. Although I have already used WOTgreal and I know it's an excellent IDE for unrealscript.
            You do know you don't actually have to pay in order to use the program, right?

The way I see it, UnrealEd should be the first choice, since it was designed for, well... Unreal editing... and it comes with Unreal. It would be great if I didn't need any more programs.
            It's primarily for mapping, and even then mappers use other programs as well. Think Photoshop for textures, Maya or 3D Studio Max for static meshes and Goldwave for sound editing.
            For programming, UEd sucks. It's prone to crashes (try compiling your class without making any changes), it doesn't have realtime highlighting and it wastes way too many resources for mere text editing.

Also, I like the way UnrealEd displays the complete DefaultProperties for each class, with every inherited property from parent classes, so you don't have to browse every friggin parent class to see the DefaultProperties your class is inheriting.
            What if I tell you that you can look at the subclass's default properties in WOTgreal by holding down Ctrl, leftclicking on the class and scrolling down to see all changed properties this class has compared to his superclass? It's a lot easier than comparing grey windows.

I just want to know if this problem I described in the first post is common to everyone or if it's just something I did wrong. Have you guys ever tried UEd for coding? I know I can reinstall my UT2004 and patches to find out but I'm trying to avoid that.
            Angel_Mapper is a wise woman.

*edit* If you don't want to use WOTgreal, then use ConTEXT. It's great lightweight text editor and an unrealscript template unrealscript can be downloaded. You can even create your own templace!

Comment

Originally posted by Jrubzjeknf View Post
              You do know you don't actually have to pay in order to use the program, right?
              Indeed he does not, as Epic licensed WOTGreal 3.005 for free distribution as UDE - Unreal Development Environment. Anyone can get it here and use for free without any registration reminders/delays: http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UDEDown...t_Development_

Comment

Thank you very much Lynx, I didn't know that. I've navigated through the UDN site before but I never seen that page, or I just confused it with the UnrealEngine2 Runtime, which isn't free. Now I downloaded and installed the UDE. I don't know if it has all the WOTgreal features (I don't see the mesh export option). But I'll start using it now and take my time with it, since it looks like a very powerful tool.

Originally posted by Jrubzjeknf
                What if I tell you that you can look at the subclass's default properties in WOTgreal by holding down Ctrl, leftclicking on the class and scrolling down to see all changed properties this class has compared to his superclass? It's a lot easier than comparing grey windows.
                That's a great tip man, I didn't know that! And why did you tell me not to use the WOTgreal compiler?

Originally posted by INIQUITOUS
                I use textpad instead
                In this case, how do you see the class tree?

... and before I forget, thx for testing the UEd highlighting...

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
                It only shows the highlighting after you compile, and I think double click the class again.
                Well that kinda kills the purpose of syntax highlighting, doesn't it?

Comment

Yes it does, which is why no one uses UEd to code.

Comment

That's a great tip man, I didn't know that! And why did you tell me not to use the WOTgreal compiler?
                    Because it sucks and UMake is a very powerful, yet simple tool to compile packages with. You can compile a package with a shortcut, or rightclick on a class file in the package and click the proper option in the menu.

Comment

Using UEd to code is like using a fork to eat soup: It's somehow possible, but not really worth the trouble.

Comment

I use ConTEXT with the UnrealEd highlighter addon. Works fine, then compile with commandprompt.

Comment

ConTEXT can be set up to compile with user exec keys (F9-F12). I could write a lil' tut on that if people are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
                            Using UEd to code is like using a fork to eat soup: It's somehow possible, but not really worth the trouble.
                            That desires to be quoted on UDE page of UDN.

Comment

I have a question for those who use ConTEXT or other text editor: how do you visualize the unrealscript class tree? Or do you code without seeing it?

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
                              I get the point now. I already switched back to WOTgreal/UDE, from which I should have never switched in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X