Organization freak needs instructions for starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organization freak needs instructions for starting

Hey. I'm brand new to UnrealScript and these forums. I'm a crazy organization freak, and everything for setting up code seems unorganized. I want to make sure I'm doing this right:

Install UT2004
    Install UT2004MegaPack
    Install Patch 3369 (I know the MegaPack has it, but for some reason, all the other packs read it as v1)
    Install the source files ( http://unreal.epicgames.com/Files/UT2004Scripts3369.zip )
    Install UDE

And am I all set? The package list in UDE doesn't match up with the Edit Packages and Server Packages. Is this all right?

And if all this is right, do I just start making mutators? If I wanted to make a major mod, how do I do that without messing up my UT2004 install and such?

Originally posted by jbizzler
    I'm a crazy organization freak
    Perhaps coding isn't suited for you

Comment

The package list in UDE doesn't match up with the Edit Packages and Server Packages.
      UDE doesnt read the lists to load the files, UDE reads ur UT2004 directory for UnrealScript files (ie. C:\UT2004\Engine\Classes\*.uc) and u can used these for referance.

I STRONGLY suggest you to not modify any original Packages Unreal came with, you will nolonger beable to play online if you do so, and even crash the game on boot lol

Use your own packages, i would first make a simple mutator, take a look in http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/

Comment

Okay. So I have the originaly UT2004 retail. What patches should I install to stay as clean as possible for coding while still having ECE?

Comment

I suggest UT2004Mi (Map Installer). While not directly related to coding, you'll often need to study other peoples' work to solve your own coding problems. That sometimes means installing things. Using Map Installer helps you clean up afterwards.

Comment

Okay, I'm good on all that now.

I plan to learn coding now and get serious with UT2007. What should I focus on until then? I'm already an experience C++ coder, so simply coding doesn't teach me much.

My idea for a game is radically different from UT games and closer to Advent Rising, which I know ues UE2, so I know it's possible. What should i focus on now if I plan to make that radical of a mod with UT2007?

Comment

Okay, I'm good on all that now.

I plan to learn coding now and get serious with UT2007. What should I focus on until then? I'm already an experience C++ coder, so simply coding doesn't teach me much.

My idea for a game is radically different from UT games and closer to Advent Rising, which I know ues UE2, so I know it's possible. What should i focus on now if I plan to make that radical of a mod with UT2007?
              * Look at the wiki and try to make a flak cannon that fires rockets
              * make a goliath with a hellbender turret on it
              * make a spider mine that you can drive around remotely

all these should be achievable but not without a little pain(!)

Comment

I finished my FlakRocketLauncher in about 10 minutes .
                You can see it here, and I'm sure you know howto install it. It's just a mutator.

Edit: Now onto the turret!

Comment

Here's what I got so far. My own class that replaces ONSHoverTank:

Code:
                  class GoliathBender extend ONSHoverTank;

defaultproperties
                  {
                  	PassengerWeapons(0)=(WeaponPawnClass=class'Onslaught.ONSPRVRearGunPawn',WeaponBone=Dummy02);
                  }
                  Now how do I make a mutator that replaces the ONSHoverTank with my GoliathBender in-game?

Comment

You need to change the Vehicle factory references for the Hovertank to your own, it's realy easy, but I'll see if you can figure it out.

Comment

Wow, thanks. That's really easy.

GoliathBender:
                      Code:
                      class GoliathBender extends ONSHoverTank;

defaultproperties
                      {
                      	PassengerWeapons(0)=(WeaponPawnClass=class'Onslaught.ONSPRVRearGunPawn',WeaponBone=MachineGunTurret);
                      }
                      MutGoliathBender:
                      Code:
                      class MutGoliathBender extends Mutator
                          config(user);

function PostBeginPlay()
                      {
                          local ONSTankFactory Factory;

foreach AllActors( class 'ONSTankFactory', Factory )
                          {
                              Factory.VehicleClass = class'GoliathBender';
                          }
                      }

defaultproperties
                      {
                           GroupName="Goliath Bender"
                           FriendlyName="Goliath Bender"
                           Description="Replaces the turret on the Goliath with the Hellbender's turret."
                      }

Now for the spider mine... that sound tricky.

I hate how all the vehicle names are way off. I guess way back, the Goliath was going to be a HoverTank. I see that the ECE content doesn't have that problem. Hope UT2007 won't have that!

Comment

Naming conventions are all fubared in the code, but what can you do. Especially on code developed by three Developer houses (Epic, DE and The ones that did onslaugft (never remember too lazy to look up )

I would reccomend DynamicActors instead of AllActors, they tell you which are fastest respectively im the actor code, alway use the fastest one you can get away with, UScript is not very eifficent so you want as little itteration over head as you can get away with, even if it's just a run once mutator

Comment

Thanks. I didn't even know that function existed. I'm guessing then my Flak Rocket Launcher is inefficient too. That's the only real downside to UnrealScript I think. Not like my tiny mutators matter, but you gotta learn the right way!

How am I doing progression-wise? Pretty good for someone who's been working for a day?

Comment

Okay, I'm just starting the spider-mine suggestion. Can't you already drive it around remotely with the laser?

I'm not asking how to do it, but rather, what I'm supposed to do. Do I make it so you can just control it with some other keys? Do I shift control to it completly as if it were the player? I'm pretty sure I could do both. I already understand the spider-mine uses vetcors to get to its desired location, I just don't know how I could translate camera directions to world directions. SHould I just make it like a real remote-control car that only knows forward, backward, left, and right?

Comment

Okay, I'm just starting the spider-mine suggestion. Can't you already drive it around remotely with the laser?

I'm not asking how to do it, but rather, what I'm supposed to do. Do I make it so you can just control it with some other keys? Do I shift control to it completly as if it were the player? I'm pretty sure I could do both. I already understand the spider-mine uses vetcors to get to its desired location, I just don't know how I could translate camera directions to world directions. SHould I just make it like a real remote-control car that only knows forward, backward, left, and right?
                              I was thinking of a weapon that fires a single spider mine that you drive around... when you do it it looks a bit like the deemer alt-fire

I have to congratulate you on your cluefulness... you've obviously done this sorta thing before :-)

I confess I don't know how to do this one...

Comment

Working...
                              X