No announcement yet.

Changing Decotex/Terrain Textures and Terrain Shapes (deformations) on the fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Decotex/Terrain Textures and Terrain Shapes (deformations) on the fly

If anyone has played Magic Carpet, then you'll probably understand what I mean.

I'm interested in doing something similar to things that Magic Carpet did. Where you can change the shape of terrain while playing (ie create a mountain, or a canyon, etc) as well as having things like the texture of the terrain change when players walk. (ie when player 1 walks over any triangle/square on the terrain, it's texture changes to grass, and when player 2 walks over, it changes to mud.) But I don't mean for this to occur in certain spots, I would like this to happen on any square/triangle in the terrain.

Is this at all possible?

Umm. You might be able to do the grass/mud thing with a projector... as far as I know, though, changing the heightmap itself (and having it update the terrain mesh) is pretty much impossible.

Comment

i know the 2k3 later patches have a PokeTerrain() function, but i have no idea how it works

Comment

Originally posted by EricBlade
        i know the 2k3 later patches have a PokeTerrain() function, but i have no idea how it works
        I'm talking 2k4. No one uses 2k3, that's dead software man! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Boinga
          I'm talking 2k4. No one uses 2k3, that's dead software man! lol
          Yeah but if the later 2k3 patches had it, chances are it's still there in 2k4.

Comment

I assume any documentation on these kind of things is hidden away in the licensees section?

Comment

I tried PokeTerrain() a while ago and it didn't work as far as i could tell.

I’m sure epic played around with it then decided it was not complete enough to put into the engine.

Comment

I've heard of a mutator for 2k4 that when the terrain was shot with a strong enough damage that the vector of it moved down, but im not 100% sure on that! Try a search for it, otherwise idk :noob:

P.S:
                Originally posted by Bigcheeese
                I’m sure epic played around with it then decided it was not complete enough to put into the engine.
                Epic didnt finish alot of things in this engine, One example is Karma, and dynamic lighting could have been better lol

Comment

BigA, Karma is done (No replication but thats easy to fix), it just sucks to no end, nothing epic can do about it :P (Freeking going thru the walls...)

ut2k7 is going to use PhysX(NovodeX) so i dont realy care about karma much.

Comment

PokeTerrain was added into the later patches, so i'd guess that they had a particular reason to add it, although i don't think there was any particular documentation on it.

Here's a page from the Uwiki about using it:
                    http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Mo...s/Real_Terrain

dynamic lighting could have been better? lol.. the whole lighting system in this engine is incredibly awful. And it looks to be the exact same thing from what I've seen in the videos of 2k7. Prettier effects, more detailed models, but the guts of the engine are seriously showing their 1998 origins.

Comment

Working...
                    X