UnrealScript's version of '*this'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UnrealScript's version of '*this'

For those that do not know; C++ and java (among others), have a variable called "this". It refers to the current object.

What is unrealScripts version of this? Does anyone know?

self

Comment

wicked, thanks

Comment

The whole self and none keywords in unrealscript bugged me at first. The keywords this and null have become the norm in other languages so why change them.

Comment

"norm" is a word with such a variable meaning. For example Visual Basic uses Me and Nothing to refer to "this" and "no" object respectively. AFAIK Perl uses "undef" and Delphi uses "nil" for "no object".

Comment

The norm for c-like languages, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx
              The norm for c-like languages, apparently.
              arf. presumably they are also the norm in every language ever used by someone who only ever uses java...

Comment

Why are there differnt programming languages at all, would it not be easier if everything was done using one

Comment

I nominate OISC assembly language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OISC

Comment

Originally posted by Hsoolien
                    Why are there differnt programming languages at all, would it not be easier if everything was done using one
                    There also should be one spoken language in the world, ENGLISH !!

Comment

Originally posted by sweavo
                      I nominate OISC assembly language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OISC
                      I second that.

Comment

Originally posted by .eVil.CapD
                        There also should be one spoken language in the world, ENGLISH !!
                        That I agree with, even if it isn't my native tongue.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo
                          "norm" is a word with such a variable meaning. For example Visual Basic uses Me and Nothing to refer to "this" and "no" object respectively. AFAIK Perl uses "undef" and Delphi uses "nil" for "no object".
                          Yeah maybe I should have said C++/Java/C# style of language but isn't that what UnrealScript is bassed on. The languages you mentioned are all pretty much legacy languages now.

Comment

Originally, UScript was supposed to be based on VB, btw.
                            Perl is also a "curly brace language" like Java or C++ and I wouldn't call it "legacy".

Oh, and two of the most useful UnrealScript programming tools are written in Delphi: UMake and UnCodeX. I think UTPT is Delphi as well and maybe even WOTgreal. (not sure on that one, though)

Comment

I think you are right on WotGreal Wormbo

Comment

Working...
                              X