• Show
Clear All

.f ?

Ok, lol, what does this mean?!

#.f

?!

in what context?

Comment

You can add 'f' or 'F' to any float number.

1.f == 1.0 and 1.23f == 1.23

Just ignore it.

Comment

Is there any particular reason why I should use 1.f or 1.0 instead of 1 for floats? Or does that all compile into the same thing anyway?

Comment

1 (instead of 1.0 or 1.f) might be compiled into the code for "integer 1". This could lead to different results when using certain operators: 1 / 2 (= 0 IIRC - it's integer division) is not the same as 1.0 / 2.0 (= 0.5).

Comment

Then wats the point of f? lol

Comment

I'm talking about the use of 1 (without .f or .0) for float variables or defaultproperties, not hardcoded constants, so you cannot get an integer division. It's a rounded float, not an integer.

I can imagine the engine treating a hardcoded constant 1 as an integer, yes.

Comment

The point is that you can do the same in C++.
                there's no real use (1.0 or 1.f doesn't matter, 1.0 is nicer though)

btw, you can also write +1 instead of 1, it has no extra use, but you can do it.

Comment

Odd, so just ignore it?

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo
                    You can add 'f' or 'F' to any float number.

1.f == 1.0 and 1.23f == 1.23

Just ignore it.

Comment

oh lol XD

Comment

No you can't ignore it. I do not know its function in unrealscript. however in C++ you have to have the f after you type the number
                        value ( float Afloat = 1.0f; ). If you wrote it down like this
                        ( float Afloat = 1.0; ) the compiler will automatically change the number to the value of type double. I don't know why it does that. it's just stupid that way.

Comment

However in Uscript you can ignore it. It's just a convention. They probably put support for that method of declaration for those that are coming from C based programming.

Comment

There's only one floating point data type in UnrealScript, so it doesn't matter whether you add the f or not.
                            Just. Freaking. Ignore. It.

Comment

r-o-f-l

Comment

Working...
                              X