Using UT for trails instead of 3dsmax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using UT for trails instead of 3dsmax?

Some of you mgiht remember, the guy who was doing a MMORPG ont he unreal engine.
    Yes, I am still working on it.
    Anyways, my question is, I'm modeling weapons and such using 3dsmax7, and I want a trail to appear behind the weapon while it swings. and anyone who has used 3ds max knows that this is not a simple task without the ghost trails 3 plug in. (if anyone knows exactly how to do this please do tell)

anyways, I've heard that the unreal editor can generate trails, much liekt he ghost trails plug in. Anyone wanna explain to me how to do this?

Also, I'm looking for some programmers to help me in coding the GUI for the game, since i cant use the one currently in the game (because it cancels out all input while in the menu) I need to make one from scratch

I also need to know if its possible to make it so taht when my palyer does a normal attack, it picks randomly between 3 different animations to use.

anyone with answers to any of these problems, please post here.

wow.....this forums real slow still i see.......6 hours, and no response.........

Comment

1) Take a look at the emitter generated by the Speed combo.
      2) I would have the weapon call a function within your Pawn class whenever it's fired that sets what animation will play the next time the weapon is fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
        1) Take a look at the emitter generated by the Speed combo.
        2) I would have the weapon call a function within your Pawn class whenever it's fired that sets what animation will play the next time the weapon is fired.
        1)yes, but is that done via script? or is it all coded into the emitter itself? (pretty much asking if this is a simple slap on and go process)

2) but I don't want them to play in the same order every time, I want them to happen at a 33.3....% chance (might put same animation in twice, so ic an use 25%, just in case it doesnt like irrational floats)

Comment

Originally posted by orikalin
          1)yes, but is that done via script? or is it all coded into the emitter itself? (pretty much asking if this is a simple slap on and go process)
          The emitter is attached via script, but the trail is just an emitter type.
          2) but I don't want them to play in the same order every time, I want them to happen at a 33.3....% chance (might put same animation in twice, so ic an use 25%, just in case it doesnt like irrational floats)
          That's why you put a Rand() in the function and choose what anim to play based on that number.

Comment

@ #2) wow. its 1 am here, and i realized after getting the answer, that that was a dumb question.....

anyways, I also wanted to know, When im animating character models, is there any limit to how many frames i can have?

Also, what frame rate shoudlt eh animations run at? NTSC? seams a bit fast to me, but I'm not 100% sure

Comment

I'd just take a look at the 2k4 animations to get an idea. As for a frame limit, I don't think there is a limit, but I've never needed to go past 100. If you take a look at the intro anims I believe they're in the hundreds.

Comment

I've animated decoration classes with 1600+ frames before without hassle so I don't think you're likely to run into any problems

For random animations, look at the classic sniper rifle firemode for an easy example.

Framerate for anims really doesn't matter as it can be adjusted in Ued anyway. I normally use NTSC 30fps and fine tune it in the ed, then further fine tune through my code.

Comment

and then the last thing, which I've yet to figure out: Collision Detection over the internet. It works fine against NPC monsters, but how do I get it to work in a Player VS Player Situation..... I also have complex moves that involes one player using a skill, which makes them stand in a certain position, and what I want to happen si the other character runs and jumps at them, and when the game chekcs that the person is in a jump, and touching the positioned character, that the positioned one while give the other character a jump boost, via there hands. Simple to animate, but will it work online?

Comment

Working...
                  X