Balanced? (and bugs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balanced? (and bugs)

I've been working on a weapon that shoots bouncing homing flak shells. Yes, it's ridiculously powerful, but I've added a twist: if the shell misses (gets below a certain speed without hitting anything), there's a 1/3 chance it'll turn on the person who fired it and jump at them, almost always hitting them if they're anywhere in the room. The shells never disappear until they hit someone, and they exhibit the same jumping behavior even if they haven't decided to "return to sender." I'd like some opinions on whether this is anywhere close to being a reasonably balanced weapon, and if not what I could do to improve it.

[Edit] Apparently some people are having issues with the weapon not showing up - either not replacing flak or just leaving empty weaponbases with Arena mut.. and I've also noticed a weird issue where a listen server running the mut runs one match fine and then crashes when it finishes loading the next map. Help! :cry:

Um. How could anyone tell without using it in a game?

Release an open beta and you could get valid opinions from first hand use.

Comment

Yeah, I s'pose so. Here

Comment

Tweaking damage or rate of fire are surefire ways of balancing it.

Many people don't seem to like randomness. Instead of a 1/3 chance, you could, for example, make moderate damage non-returning projectiles on primary fire and heavy damage boomerang projectiles on altfire.

Comment

Oo.. excellent idea. Thanks.

[edit] Also - atm the bots can't use the homing-ness at all. Any ideas on how to decide that in-game? Rocket launcher uses some weird stuff involving bot level and distance to target - perhaps something along those lines?

Comment

Working...
          X