Vehicle user interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle user interface

Hello I am a noob,so take this accordingly. I was wondering if it is possible to make a paint type interface for the vehicles in ut2004. Like a menu to paint your vehicle custom. I know they are converted now ,but there must be some way to do it. Any help would be appreciated. For my project it would have to be limited so that you still get red and blue team colors out of it in some way or form.
    I thought maybe something that looks like this, but maybe better tools etc. not sure it could be done.
    http://www.geocities.com/slinky3761/exam.JPG
    This is just an example it is actually taken from paint and added to pic of the menu i want to add it to, if can be done.Maybe 3d view like this where you can rotate and paint car . But maybe just certian areas etc.
    They do it in a lot of car games so I thought this engine also could do it.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carball.net "Prove you've got... BALLS!"

I can think of a way that *might* work, but it would not work on OGL (ready:anything excet users using UT2004 on Windows under directX)

Basically you would use a scripted texture and paint the texture, the overhead woudl be phenomanal though...

Comment

Hello

Thanks for reply. Yeah I don't see it being easy. But I do not know much, so that is why i am posting here. I think i will have to make up a program that converts it to dxt then applies it through the menu or something.

Comment

i suppose another way this could be possible (im a noob to US so if im wrong o well) Make a different texture for EVERY POSSIBLE paintable combination, then have it apply the tex on the fly depending on what the user selects. this is assuming that u want the user to beable to select a thing like stripe and then select which color from a set pallete.

that would be a whole lot of work tho

Comment

Hello

I am going for a gui(graphic user interface)with maybe a scripted texture overlay for vehicles. I think. The interface is already there. I just need to know how to color the vehicles. Will scripted textures do it or will it mess with things. Anyway thanks for your input inventor209. Good idea, lots of work,might have to go that route if can't find easier way. Keep the ideas coming,meanwhile i am researching possabilities myself also.

Comment

Can't you just apply several shaders at once? Most vehicles have several skins, some of which are team color dependent. I think there's a Skins[] array somewhere that is used to switch between team colors. You might be able to extend it to include many, many different skins.

Isn't there some sort of way to alter a texture's color on the fly? If so, you could make a bunch of skins, but you'd need only a few skins that gets colored before it is applied. You'd only need one skin for every separate paintable area.

Comment

you can't really paint on textures, but you can change the skins and apply changes to the whole texture by using material modifiers.

Comment

Hello

I really appreciate the replies. I will have to play around with that idea.Hopefully i can figure this out, cause it would bring a cool feature to the mod.

How about color modifiers?

The problem i have with this idea is it seems to be server reliant. So if somebody could help me find a way it doesn't need to be server reliant that would be great. Otherwise i think i would have to make up many skins and do it that way and the servers would have to have them.

Comment

Working...
                X