Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packaging everything into a single .u file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    NSIS is a great installer system, which I use a lot. Pretty big learning curve if you're not used to compiling C/C++ though, since the syntax is similar in some ways.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    {makes mental note: importing several packages into one package changes all referances in the code pertaining to package location.}

I am creating one package for each folder that i need so i might have 12 files that need installed or uninstalled eventually.

wouldnt it be easier to just get a freeware installer/uninstaller program for your mod?

i have used the clickteam install creator in the past.
    and they have a freeware version that is pretty nice.

one good selling point of any mod is being able to install/uninstall it with a single click........it makes everything look more professional.......it might be worth looking into and also save you a ton of recoding time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Switch01
    If OBJ LOAD imports the data into package, but code fails when files are deleted then obviously you're referencing wrong packages in your code.
    Yes. Xyx look here http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Exec_Directive and go to the section "Loading Other Packages" and the second code section. As Switch01 said, you may need to change something in the default properties to name your code package instead of the original texture package.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    why is it such a problem to have separate files? if you have tons of files like a REMAKE lol make it a mod! since i jsut resently found out how i think it would be wise

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you wouldnt be able to tell it by the way i develop my mods but......from the video tutorials it is pretty simple and straight forward.

create a folder in your UT2X directory and name it what you want.....then create sub folders for sound,static meshes,animations,textures,and classes.

after you have moved everything to the folders then add the name of the folder to "editpackage=(foldername)" in the ut2X.ini file and run ucc make from the command prompt and it should be all good.......i'm still a noob at this but that seems like the best way to make a mod package to me.

Correct me if i am wrong though.....i'm not perfect and am always eager to learn.

at a worse case scenario you would have 1 file in each folder to install/uninstall.....sounds...classes...animations...text ures...etc......you would just have to compile each and that is it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Alternatively,
    - copy all resources to single file, ie myeverything.u, using unrealed resource browsers, menu->rename
    - import code into it using unrealed, ie console command OBJ LOAD FILE=mycode.u PACKAGE=myeverything.u
    - save myeverything.u
    - delete mycode.u

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If OBJ LOAD imports the data into package, but code fails when files are deleted then obviously you're referencing wrong packages in your code.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You're missing the point here. Of course I already package it in a zip. That's not the problem. Distributing a messy mod with files all over the UT2004 folder structure is the problem.

Many files means trouble installing, trouble uninstalling and even more trouble for server admins. If I want people to play my mod it has to be easy to install. Many people are panicky about installing something that looks messy and hard to get rid of if they decide it sucks. They'll rather not even give it a chance if they think it is messy. And if I ever want to see my mod played online I can't afford to make it a hassle for server admins.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    and that is the wonders of zips

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by the_ultimate_sa
    you only need the .u for the package of vehicles. you can do the same for animation packages and all other kinds of packages.
    Yeah, but wouldn't it be really cool and clean to release just one big file?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yes you can import animations into .u files but i never had luck, i use MilKShape since i lost my cd's and it doesnt import at all even kno there are no errros =\

Leave a comment:

• replied
    also if you put all the vehicles into one package you dont need a .u for every vehicle. you only need the .u for the package of vehicles. you can do the same for animation packages and all other kinds of packages. then if u have 50 vehicles you need 1 for system one for sounds, one for animation, one for static meshes and so on for as much as it applies of course. (weee i am learning something from the wiki ^_^)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think the swimming shark from whatever levels has it is actually an imported animation into the .u file. You might want to check that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    meshes you can get the MODELS but not the animations =( place a xPawn class, set the Mesh to what u want, and right click and convert to staticmesh and you can export that. Although i have noticed somt things dont convert like the ONS stuff =( *again*

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Guess I'll have to hunt down the original formats, then. :weird:

Thanks anyway for explaining. :up:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X