Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packaging everything into a single .u file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    You can export most things (textures, sounds) and then IMPORT them with code, but I have no idea about animations or meshes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So can I move my animations, static meshes and textures from the .ukx, .usx and .utx into the .u with the code somehow... or am I basically SOL here?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    IMPORT only works on raw data, such at bitmaps or sound files (or max files). However, unreal's package structure doesnt care at all about file extensions. In other words, .u packages can include sound, animations, whatever, and likewise .utx can include sounds and code. The extensions are there to organize them, is all.

The editor, however, does notice file extensions. You can open any package from any browser window by selecting "all files" as the type, and opening the file you want. You can then IMPORT files from there, or import them via code as you described above. There is no way to import .utx files, or .uax, .ukx, etc. because these are already packages, they're ALREADY imported, and nothing can import them again.

Mods that do this IMPORT from raw data, not packages.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Only things I could find to import were raw Max and PhotoShop files and stuff like that. I actually have imported models already, and no way to convert them back to Max format.

Anybody else have an idea? This has actually been done before.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i thaught other mods just did:
    #EXEC IMPORT <Whatever> <Params>

but thats b4 its done thru the editor.
    im guessing you remove the files after import, but then the code is looking for the original files and cannot find them

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Packaging everything into a single .u file?

Packaging everything into a single .u file?

I'm working on a collection of vehicles that each have their own .ukx (Animations) and .usx (StaticMeshes), and in some cases an .utx (Textures) as well. Plus there's the .uc and .ucl (System) files. I have three vehicles now, but there will be 25 eventually. I'd hate to release a zip (or .umod, same difference) with 60+ loose files spread over four different folders. That'd be really messy.

I tried importing the files into the .u with the following commands:
    Code:
    #exec OBJ LOAD FILE=XS_Condor-A.ukx PACKAGE=XS_Build
    #exec OBJ LOAD FILE=XS_Condor-SM.usx PACKAGE=XS_Build
    #exec OBJ LOAD FILE=XS_Condor-T.utx PACKAGE=XS_Build
    This bloated the .u file considerably, but when I removed the original .ukx, .usx and .utx and then tried to spawn the vehicle it would not appear. Only when I put all three files back would it appear.

I've seen other mods release stuff with everything compiled into one .u, so I know it can be done.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?
Working...
X