Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packaging everything into a single .u file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packaging everything into a single .u file?

I'm working on a collection of vehicles that each have their own .ukx (Animations) and .usx (StaticMeshes), and in some cases an .utx (Textures) as well. Plus there's the .uc and .ucl (System) files. I have three vehicles now, but there will be 25 eventually. I'd hate to release a zip (or .umod, same difference) with 60+ loose files spread over four different folders. That'd be really messy.

I tried importing the files into the .u with the following commands:
    Code:
    #exec OBJ LOAD FILE=XS_Condor-A.ukx PACKAGE=XS_Build
    #exec OBJ LOAD FILE=XS_Condor-SM.usx PACKAGE=XS_Build
    #exec OBJ LOAD FILE=XS_Condor-T.utx PACKAGE=XS_Build
    This bloated the .u file considerably, but when I removed the original .ukx, .usx and .utx and then tried to spawn the vehicle it would not appear. Only when I put all three files back would it appear.

I've seen other mods release stuff with everything compiled into one .u, so I know it can be done.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

i thaught other mods just did:
    #EXEC IMPORT <Whatever> <Params>

but thats b4 its done thru the editor.
    im guessing you remove the files after import, but then the code is looking for the original files and cannot find them

Comment

Only things I could find to import were raw Max and PhotoShop files and stuff like that. I actually have imported models already, and no way to convert them back to Max format.

Anybody else have an idea? This has actually been done before.

Comment

IMPORT only works on raw data, such at bitmaps or sound files (or max files). However, unreal's package structure doesnt care at all about file extensions. In other words, .u packages can include sound, animations, whatever, and likewise .utx can include sounds and code. The extensions are there to organize them, is all.

The editor, however, does notice file extensions. You can open any package from any browser window by selecting "all files" as the type, and opening the file you want. You can then IMPORT files from there, or import them via code as you described above. There is no way to import .utx files, or .uax, .ukx, etc. because these are already packages, they're ALREADY imported, and nothing can import them again.

Mods that do this IMPORT from raw data, not packages.

Comment

So can I move my animations, static meshes and textures from the .ukx, .usx and .utx into the .u with the code somehow... or am I basically SOL here?

Comment

You can export most things (textures, sounds) and then IMPORT them with code, but I have no idea about animations or meshes.

Comment

Guess I'll have to hunt down the original formats, then. :weird:

Thanks anyway for explaining. :up:

Comment

meshes you can get the MODELS but not the animations =( place a xPawn class, set the Mesh to what u want, and right click and convert to staticmesh and you can export that. Although i have noticed somt things dont convert like the ONS stuff =( *again*

Comment

I think the swimming shark from whatever levels has it is actually an imported animation into the .u file. You might want to check that.

Comment

also if you put all the vehicles into one package you dont need a .u for every vehicle. you only need the .u for the package of vehicles. you can do the same for animation packages and all other kinds of packages. then if u have 50 vehicles you need 1 for system one for sounds, one for animation, one for static meshes and so on for as much as it applies of course. (weee i am learning something from the wiki ^_^)

Comment

yes you can import animations into .u files but i never had luck, i use MilKShape since i lost my cd's and it doesnt import at all even kno there are no errros =\

Comment

Originally posted by the_ultimate_sa
                        you only need the .u for the package of vehicles. you can do the same for animation packages and all other kinds of packages.
                        Yeah, but wouldn't it be really cool and clean to release just one big file?

Comment

and that is the wonders of zips

Comment

You're missing the point here. Of course I already package it in a zip. That's not the problem. Distributing a messy mod with files all over the UT2004 folder structure is the problem.

Many files means trouble installing, trouble uninstalling and even more trouble for server admins. If I want people to play my mod it has to be easy to install. Many people are panicky about installing something that looks messy and hard to get rid of if they decide it sucks. They'll rather not even give it a chance if they think it is messy. And if I ever want to see my mod played online I can't afford to make it a hassle for server admins.

Comment

If OBJ LOAD imports the data into package, but code fails when files are deleted then obviously you're referencing wrong packages in your code.

Comment

Working...
                              X