Custom weapon pickup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom weapon pickup question

I just made a weapon, and I've been using the worm mod to test it in-game. When I use the worm 'extra gear' mutator (lets you choose extra weapons to have players start with), it is the correct weapon, and everything is fine. But when I try to replace a weapon, the pickup in the match is for the parent weapon that I made mine from. At first, I thought it was a problem with worm, but then I noticed then whenever bots dropped my weapon after being killed, that pickup was also for the parent weapon.

I'm not sure what I've done wrong. I'm an ultra-n00b, but I thought I had covered all the bases. The pickup indicated in the .ucl file is my custom pickup class that I made, and not the parent's, and the InventoryType Default Property in my pickup class indicates my custom weapon, and not the parent weapon. What have I missed?

In the weapons defaultproperties:
    PickupClass=class'WeaponPickupClass'

in the pickups default properties:
    InventoryType=class'WeaponClass'

Comment

Ok, I've got a couple of real dumb questions about this, but it confuses me, and no resources I've read explain it explicitly.

I've always used UED to do scripting (or butcher scripts, I should say). I've been told that it's not a good way to do it, and most tutorials are for working with .uc files, but I really don't do that much scripting, and I always thought it would be a pain to have to deal with a big file tree in the UT2004 folder.

In UED, you edit the default properties of a class with that seperate window. I was getting frustrated because I couldn't find things I was looking for (max ammo and starting ammo, to be specific), and someone pointed out that they were in the default properties portion of the .uc file. Those properties weren't present in the class's default properties window in UED.

Why don't all default properties show up in UED?

The other thing I was wondering is: can I continue working on this weapon in UED by simply adding the default properties I want to edit into the script editing window? The PickupClass property on the weapon doesn't seem to be accessable in the default properties window, and I'd rather not have to export everything just to edit and compile this one thing. I'm hoping it will work if I just add 'defaultproperties' and a couple of brackets with the values I want to change inside after the end of all the script.

Thanks for your help, I apologize for being such a n00b.

Comment

Don't apologize. Everyone is born a n00b.

If I'm not mistaken, only defaultproperties marked with (<optional text>) in the .uc show up in UEd.

Comment

And Unreal does not like you redeclaring variables in childern (most of the time, if not all it won't work)

Ued is **** for scripting, if your looking to really get into scripting, but dont' want to have to search through .uc files, I highly reccomend WotGreal or UDE (the Epic liscenced veriosn of WotGreal)

Comment

I have UDE now, it looks handy. So the only way to do this is to have folders for every package in the game directory? It seems like a big clutter.

Comment

If you have the space do a seperate install just for code (and map ) developing, it's what I do... I have a vanilla install for actual play, and anoher messy install for coding, mapping and mods...

Comment

That's not a bad idea. I ended up just sticking it out putting the classes in my normal directory. But now I can't get the thing to compile.

Comment

Classes need to be in the Classes Directory in the Package directory...

Like ut2004/Onslaught/classes/onsrv

Comment

Originally posted by UndeadRoadkill
                    That's not a bad idea. I ended up just sticking it out putting the classes in my normal directory. But now I can't get the thing to compile.
                    I know, I mean I used the normal directory instead of using UED or putting them in an alternate directory.

Comment

Working...
                    X