Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prefabs, are they cool to use?

Hmm,

Been working with UED3 for some time now, and for some reason I've never used the Prefabs browser. Yesterday I started experimenting a bit with it, and it turns out it can be very conventient.

For instance; I'm using the walkways from the Shiptech package. They have lights built in, so they need corona's and lighting. Instead of doing this one at a time, you can make one with lighting and everything, select the whole thing and save it as a prefab.

But now for my q;[list=1][*]Is this a good thing, are there no "but"'s to using prefabs?[*]If I edit a prefab, will this affect all the prefabs inside my map?[*]Do you guys use 'em?[/list=1]

Thanks for anwering my weird q's.

I tried to use them as I wanted slight adjustments to my meshes in bridges, I found if I spawned a new one it, it'd snap all the objects that are snappable. Dunno about lights.

But it is handy if you know how to use it. Of course prefabs aren't distrubutable and editing one probably won't affect them all.

Comment

i havent used them before, for things i need to use lots of times in the map, i just select all the objects, and either group them, or dupliate them to somewhere off the side of the map, and then just keep duplicating them anytime i need to re-use it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChookWoods
        i havent used them before, for things i need to use lots of times in the map, i just select all the objects, and either group them, or dupliate them to somewhere off the side of the map, and then just keep duplicating them anytime i need to re-use it.
        I do just the same. I have never used prefabs.

Comment

Hmm, that copying to the side of the map sound like a good idea. Never thought of that.

Btw, I saved some meshes+Lighting as a prefab, and when I added the prefab in, it doesn't align to the grid, so I still have to do a lot of adjustments to it.

To go short: Don't use em

Thanks guys! :up:

Comment

Is it supposed to work ? Ued crashes when I try to load prefab packages I did :

Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 1664 MHz with 767MB RAM
            Video: RADEON 9250 (6614)

General protection fault!

History: PrepBrush <- ImportProperties <- ImportActorProperties <- Finishing <- ULevelFactory::FactoryCreateText <- WBrowserPrefab::OnPrefabSelChange <- WBrowserPrefab::RefreshPrefabsList <- WBrowserPrefab::RefreshAll <- WBrowserMaster::RefreshBrowser <- WBrowserMaster::RefreshAll <- WBrowserPrefab::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

Comment

Working...
            X