No announcement yet.

Static mesh sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varpu... yes... the ftp thing is also the case.... they really lock down the firewall so it's "more secure" or so they say... i just don't think they want me to post on this forum or ftp files back and forth to my house to administer my dedicated server -- imagine that!

anyway yeah... i'll just wait and dl from home tonight

Comment

wanna see how the sites cummin along?

i wanted to keep it real simple, as with lots of pages for downloads n junk the simpler the better . . . . . also tried to make blue n green cuz i neva used those 2 colours on the same site before

it hasnt turned out aswell as i hoped but it'll do for now and ill make a proper layout once the sites fully up and runnin

anyway here it is so far (still got quite a bit to add)

ill get it finished n up online as quick as a can

Comment

Bazza, if you need any help just throw me some e-mail. It is always good to have sites that do not carry abusive banners.

For example: if you are not going to spend half of your life by inspecting possibly clashing file versions you better automate a check for that. Another option is to have all the versions (like UTCMS has) and not worry about clashes. In other words: "Let the visitor make the inspection".

However - that sort of policy is bad unless you can really show how files differ. Normally the gamer has none whatsoever means to detect a clashing package version. The first time he gets to know about it is when he tries to connect to a game server and sees a "package version mismatch" message.

For the reasons above it is essential to block all files that share names with official files. This way at least the original installation stays intact.

Here is an example about this case.

End of lesson one

Comment

aha . . . good point, i hadnt really thought about clashing files that much, but i see what you mean

the last thing we want is every one getting version mismatch (again this is another reason why i think every mapper should be using myLevel as the package)

i guess the best thing to do,like you said, would be to allow the download script to seperate each of them and show which one is which

thxz for pointin that out, it hadnt crossed my mind till now

Comment

There is a solution for this. Do not deliver texture packages but merely textures. I mean pictures instead of textures. One could use BMP or other lossless format. JPG is out of question because it will ruin the texture boundaries. Jpegged textures are impossible to tile without visible edges.

Also, you could offer other source formats instead of the actual package. And, ofcourse, instructions on how to plant those into the infamious MyLevel

Comment

lol yeah, i tried that one before

also i had probs with converting a jpg to bmp then usin it as a texture . . . . not sure if it was a one off or what?

Comment

There is such a site already in existence: Unreal Mapping Revolution. http://umr.unrealism.com

We are attempting to do the same thing. Perhaps we can share files. What do you think?

Also, Doctor7, no problem.

-Axe

Comment

Axman - nice site. I'm going to have to check it out when i get home tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Axeman3173
                    There is such a site already in existence: Unreal Mapping Revolution. http://umr.unrealism.com

We are attempting to do the same thing. Perhaps we can share files. What do you think?

Also, Doctor7, no problem.
                    Doh! I didn't realise you already had some content in the textures and mesh sections. I'm amazed that it's taken this long for anyone to launch such a site, and now several come along at once

Comment

Working...
                    X