No announcement yet.

Static mesh sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this would be an excellent idea, to bring about a true mappers resource site :up:

Also as well as including textures and meshes, you could have tutorials on how to create both. From a n00bs point of view that is (like myself). Because personally I would love to get down to the nitty gritty of it all. I've seen the Buzz vids on 3DSM5 and tbh, I think I'd prefer to read tutorials step by step and take my time over Max. But like I say, true n00b guides so people like me understand them. I'm just useless at Max.

Comment

I too have zero skills at 3D Max. That's why i'm looking forword to a static mesh site The less work I have to do with, unskilled hands and get great results, the better.

Comment

Unfortunately, too few mappers even know the myLevel package exists and therefore don't use it

Still, it's entirely up to you how you want to go about it

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaber
          Please have everything as individual downloads or zips containing a bunch of stuff. No pre-compiled utx, usx or whatever. If you do that then people will be releasing maps with additional files, and that tends to be quite badly received. Also, if someone was to download say a mesh pack, then added stuff to it but didn't bother renaming it, if they release that map and someone else has already released one that uses the same pack but without the extra content, there'll be issues with overwriting packages.
          There are arguments both ways. I personally have no problem with additional files, if they're going to be used in multiple maps.

And copying an existing mesh into MyLevel preserves more of its properties than re-importing it does.

Textures would be best in .jpg because tga will take lots of space and be an un-neccesarrily large download for all the 56k users.
          TGA or TIFF with non-lossy compression (or uncompressed in zips) would be the best of all, that way there's no loss of quality. Or if you are going to have lossy compression, do them as DXT, at least then it's the same compression that's used in the game.

Comment

is the site up yet? -just kidding....

Comment

lol

site will prolly be up (with tons of stuff rdy to download) by the weekend . . . . Hopefully

Comment

Originally posted by ^vs^Bazza
                lol

site will prolly be up (with tons of stuff rdy to download) by the weekend . . . . Hopefully
                you rock Bazza! great job... i can't wait to see it

Comment

You could get some meshes from UTCMS. These were shipped with the maps and you can get a list of them here.

Many of those use textures as well. You can find out which ones by opening the preview (sorry - no picture) and looking under tab "Uses".

At the moment there seems to be over 400 of these packages...

I have a question for you: Would it be of any ise if the system could draw a preview (wireframe) ?

Oh - almost forgot - there is also a healthy bunch (over 900) of T3D files - and those have preview pictures ...

Also, feel free to search for other model files as well...

Have fun !

Comment

Originally posted by drwhojm you rock Bazza! great job... i can't wait to see it
                    At last. I've been waiting for this for ages too.

Originally posted by WulfSternhammer
                    Its worth pointing out that some mappers who make their own meshes etc for their maps sometimes allow people to use their stuff from the map. Always worth reading the readme.doc.
                    Try and work on Warbeast please :haha::up:

Ed-Varpu, if you log out then in, the bug should be fixed :up:

Comment

Varpu - I checked out those site you linked to... but it looks like all the file links are dead. I couldn't download a single mesh from there. Is this site still operational?

Comment

Originally posted by drwhojm
                        Varpu - I checked out those site you linked to... but it looks like all the file links are dead. I couldn't download a single mesh from there. Is this site still operational?
                        Are you sure - for me it works like the train toilet.

Try this: http://furpile.com:1337/file/82672/Fenster.usx.zip
                        And this: http://tuubi51.adsl.netsonic.fi:1337...enster.usx.zip

If the latter works but the former does not - the fault is in your DNS services ($hit happens).

If this is the case I think I should fix that promptly !

Anyone - try and report !

Edit: Maybe you were clicking wrong images !

<-- static mesh only zipped (yes, I ripped this from 3DSMAX)
                        <-- entire package zipped (And this from WinRAR)

Edit #2: It may also be your firewall that is blocking you

You see, the port that the download service uses is 1337, not the standard HTTP port 80. There are some good reasons for this. First of all the HTTP daemon (web server program) is restarted every night. If that service would be on port 80 I would slap a bunch of leechers on the face every day - not a good idea. Then - it is good to have a 1337 port number

Comment

nice one varpu - great info there thxz alot

both the donwload links work for me BTW . . . .

the site should be sometime round sunday/monday (UK) . . . . once its up if anyone wants to help out runnin it that would be cool

Comment

Originally posted by ^vs^Bazza
                            the site should be sometime round sunday/monday (UK) . . . . once its up if anyone wants to help out runnin it that would be cool
                            I might be interested in helping out. Been looking to get involved with a gaming site again, and I don't seem to be in the right frame of mind for reviewing maps at the moment (sorry Axeman ) so maybe it's time to try something else.

Comment

Probably the firewall at work.... no other internet has yet given me problems... but ... first time for everything

[Edit]
                              i just say your post with the port number.... that's probably the culprit.... firewalls at work suck
                              [/Edit]

Comment

i just say your post with the port number.... that's probably the culprit.... firewalls at work suck
                                Actually - it is not the firewall @ your work - it is merely the person who takes care of it. Blocking outbound traffic and especially TCP-outgoing traffic is teh sux. This just MUST cause a bunch of additional trouble @ your work. For example you can't access any FTP site that requires the use of PASV. Not to talk about difficulties with many, many web sites that use port forwarding...

Maybe there is a good reason for this - dunno....

Comment

Working...
                                X