Static mesh sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static mesh sites

are they any site you guys/gals know of or frequent that have static meshes for download? I'm looking to increase my "library" if you will.... any sites would be handy. Thanks

Have you tried Prefab Labs?

Also a visit to any of the sites linked with 3D apps shows up a good selection of meshes.

Comment

i've done some searching on google.com.... what's the site to prefab Labs? Thanks for the quick replay too.

I don't have any 3d studio max skills so I was just looking to see if someone had "already done the work for me".... you know... work smarter ... not harder type of thing

Comment

Most of those won't be in the right format, and will be way too high poly to use without some reduction. I recommend you crack open Maya PLE and get started.

Comment

I am however a little supprosed that there is no great static mesh site for ut2k3 yet.

Comment

Jixor (motorcycle reference?)
            I completely agree with you. with all the people that have done static mesh work I do find it hard to believe that no one has put up a site for it yet. I have finished most of the work on my second level. All that remains is to add some "decorations" to it. and for my next level I want to create a castle that has indoor and outdoor action. I wanted to use a static mesh for the castle or at least the majority of it. But i stink and 3d modeling .... leveling is easier for me but i am still a n00b and need more work. Anyway... i guess I'll have to get a copy of Maya PLE (as suggested by Angel Mapper. oh well. back to the drawling board.

Comment

i was actually thinkin of this the other day, seeming how my UT2004 site got totally mashed by the person i left in charge, i was thinking of mekin a mappers resource site full of custom textures n static meshes, sound files n all over cool stuff to mek really cool maps, but im still not sure weather to make it or not, gunna see how much damage was done to my UT2004 site beofre decideing

Comment

I definately think you should do it :up: (please)

The more meshes that are out there.... the less work people will have to do... and the more quality maps we'll see

Comment

well seeming how you asked so nicely i think i just mite :up:

had to do a reformat on me comp so once i get photoshop re-installed ill start working on the site itself

i've got some pretty cool textures in .utx format lieing around on a disk somewhere so ill dig them out n get a whole ton more to add to, meshes will pretty hard to find but im conected to quite a few 3D Art/Modeling sites so they shouldnt be too much of a prob :up:

Comment

If you do start such a site, I have a couple of mesh packs which I'll contribute. They (and the maps they were done for) are currently unfinished, but I can soon tidy up what I have to the point where someone else might find them useful.

I'd like to see a site which carries proper USX mesh packs instead of just importable models - a lot of the work, like building the collision, is done after the import and it seems a shame to do all that work and then release it in a format where someone else has to go through the same process.

Comment

Originally posted by ^vs^Bazza
                      well seeming how you asked so nicely i think i just mite :up:
                      a thousand thank you's

Comment

hehe no problem

oh and Doctor7 that sounds well cool thxz , once the site is up runnin and you have managed to finish off the meshes you could send the packs n ill upload them to site for you - im sure they would be really appertiated by lots of ppl thxz alot for the offer

and thats another good point, i agree that all files like textures, statics, sounds, music should all be in UT2003 format for ease of use, and so on this site they will be

Comment

Please have everything as individual downloads or zips containing a bunch of stuff. No pre-compiled utx, usx or whatever. If you do that then people will be releasing maps with additional files, and that tends to be quite badly received. Also, if someone was to download say a mesh pack, then added stuff to it but didn't bother renaming it, if they release that map and someone else has already released one that uses the same pack but without the extra content, there'll be issues with overwriting packages.

Textures would be best in .jpg because tga will take lots of space and be an un-neccesarrily large download for all the 56k users.

Best of luck with the site, hope you can get something funky on the go without too much hassle

Comment

Its worth pointing out that some mappers who make their own meshes etc for their maps sometimes allow people to use their stuff from the map. Always worth reading the readme.doc.

Although to be honest most dont let you, but if it states no then you can but ask nicely.

Comment

Good point DarkSaber however, if things where in packed in UT2003 format there is a simple solution, the mapper would simply need to click on rename texture (or woteva it is) then in the menu put myLevel as package, that way there would be no need for additional files. . . .

still its a good point that ill think about, perhaps for textures i could have them there singley in picture and in texture packs as .utx , that way everyone would be happy

Comment

Working...
                              X