How does this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does this work?

I will just go straight into it as there is a bit to cover and I would sure like some help on this one
    I built a model in Max, exported a texture ito P-shop and converted it to a BMP. Now this texture was lkeft with the name that Unrealed have it when I expoted to a file. That is to say it is names thusly :bdr02HA (without the file extension)

I then did my UVs in DEEP uv and Deep paint mapping the textures just so using the above default trim texture from the Humanoid Hardware package. THe mesh was then imported into Unrealed and all looked well. I named the package "Test" and when I built all and saved and closed the map, when I repopened it the null material reference poped up and my mesh had no texture.
    So I did it again but this time I named the package MyLevel, something I would do automatically anyway but this was a "test" so I named it as such.All was well this time and the texture was there, along with the UV alignment. However with neither of the two ways of importing did I import a texture to any package.
    What I want to know is, does the ASE file I imported "carry" the texture with it. If so how? I mean doesnt there have to be a texture named correctly and imported into the a texture package to work? Cos like I say I didnt do that. However the texture
    was left with its default name, as above, without the Humaniod Hardware prefix to the bdr02HA name that id given by default when you "export to file".
    I know I should just be happy that it worked but I am not as I dont understand how it can refernce the correct texture with just that naming convention, I mean I didnt even have to do the Mesh Properties? Display> Add skin function to get ther correct texture to show....

Can anyone give me a bit of illumination on this please? Does Unrealed reference the files appropriatly from stock textures with just the short name given when the export to file ?

I just want to know if anyone thinks that the ASE file took across the texture too, and if so, how?

Comment

The ASE file keeps the names of the materials you applied to it. So whatever the name of the material in Max is, that's what you need to have loaded into the editor before you import the mesh. It will automatically look for a texture with that name (doesn't matter what package it's in, as long as it's loaded) and apply it.

Comment

Mnay thanks for the reply. The file name for the texture was the generic ut name (ha2g2 as a random exaple). So the ASE file does not "store" the texture, just the filename was correct for UT to use it from the utx packages. I mean, if you you could rename all of the ut textures and though they are still there the fame wousnt know what to do right? So if that the case and I renamed the texture file ( that I mapped) somewthing unique I would have got the default rgeen bubble texture in UT yes?
        So my my next question is if I use stock UT textures for my models as long as I use the H23G etc etc filename then it will aply the correct one?
        Sorry about this as I am new to meshres and want to get it right.

Comment

Honest answer? It really doesn't matter in the slightest. If I'm creating a mesh that will use a tileable texture I always use the same Base texture to map it in max then just apply whatever texture I want to it when I import. You can always change the material applied to a mesh after import, so really you don't need to worry about having the exact correct name all the time

If you're working with a specific tex (a detailed wall texture or something) then it's slightly more important to apply the correct texture obviously, but again you can change the tex in Ued so it still doesn't matter

Comment

your using deep uv and deep paint for texturing your models. How do you like deep paint, would you suggest it to others.

I have seen some really cool bump mapping abilities in deep paint.

Comment

Darksabre. I think it does matter mate, or at least it does to me. I like to know how things work.

Yakuza, yes its very good, though my brother Nexusone (not his realname )has had more experience with it than me as he did the skins for the Remote Strike weapons mod and is making models now. He likes it a lot, though it can be a bit funky.

Comment

Working...
              X