Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha blend problems

Ive gone over the forums but i still cant figure it out, call me lame

i need to make a material thats a blend of multiple textures using alphas, i tried using the combiner. I put my 2 texs in each slot and put an alpha for the mask. But it just diplays the tex on top. im using a grayscale image for my alpha is that the problem does the alpha image need to have an alpha channel imbedded in it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

D

is there anyway to export a blend or multisub mat from max so that ued will convert it for use?

Hey, i can dream cant i?

D

Comment

You need to use a FinalBlend.

Max only exports the material name, not the material itself. All alphas/etc need to be made in the editor.

Comment

Re: Alpha blend problems

Originally posted by DKubina
        im using a grayscale image for my alpha is that the problem does the alpha image need to have an alpha channel imbedded in it?
        yes. a file with a valid alpha channel must be used in the alpha mask or opacity channel of a material. only the alpha channel will affect the opacity. a greyscale image (8-bit) will just import as a P8 (indexed 8-bit color) texture. you need a full 32-bit rgba.

Comment

Still no luck, heres what i have for my combiner:

CO alpha blend with mask
          AO use mask
          Mat #1 format texf_dxt3 imported pcx file
          Mat #2 format texf_dxt3 imported pcx file
          Mask format texf_rgbA8 imported tga file

all this does is give me mat#2 no blending at all, any clues to what im doing wrong?

D

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
            You need to use a FinalBlend.
            Trust me, I've done multi-alpha blending before.

Comment

Originally posted by DKubina
              Still no luck, heres what i have for my combiner:

CO alpha blend with mask
              AO use mask
              Mat #1 format texf_dxt3 imported pcx file
              Mat #2 format texf_dxt3 imported pcx file
              Mask format texf_rgbA8 imported tga file

all this does is give me mat#2 no blending at all, any clues to what im doing wrong?

D
              Does your alpha texture have an alpha layer?
              In photoshop you can see your layer you will need, as that becomes the actual mask.

Comment

ok i think i figured our what im doing wrong, ive been saving my alphas as rgba tga files, but on saving its discarding the alpha channel. What format can i use that will allow me to save my alpha and import to Ued?

D

Comment

make sure you specify 32-bit tga. that's 8 bits per channel for red, green blue & alpha (rgba). a 24-bit file discards the alpha (rgb only).

also make sure your alpha channel isn't just pure white (full opacity) -- that's functionally the same as no alpha at all.

Comment

grrrrr.... cursed tga, when i try to save one as a 32 bit with alpha it still discards the alpha, but it make the background layer floating! Any ideas?

D

Comment

Wooo hooooo, i got it working!!!!!

I ditched the whole tga thing and dled the .dds exporter from nvidia. Works like a charm

Thanks for the help all!

D

Comment

For future reference, tga alpha doesn't work in photoshop 7 due to a bug. Either use DDS (as you already have, much better than tga anyway, and gives better results than compressing in the editor), or patch PS to version 7.1 to fix the bug.

Comment

Okey another problem, im taking 3 separate tiled textures adding each one to a texscaler. Then im taking two of the scaled texs, thowing em in a combiner, and combining with one of my new alphas. Then im taking that combiner, adding it to a second combiner in slot 1, putting the third scaled tile in second slot and blending with a second alpha.

Now the problem is when i make the second combiner, after i add the first combiner in slot 1 it gives me an error stating that i need to use a simple bitmap in slot 2. If i try to add it UED crashes.

Any ideas?

D

Comment

Jebus H, what are you trying to do? :bulb:

Comment

TexScaler counts as Bitmap. So put that in Slot 1, the combiner in slot 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X