i want to be upside down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i want to be upside down

would it be possible to make different gravity settings in ut2k3?

i want to make a mape like mc eschers relativity

example:http://www.mcescher.com/Gallery/back-bmp/LW389.jpg <large pic

hi there,

that pic is just..... just..... ehm WEIRD

yes, it is posible, don't ask me how, i think you need to make physicvolumes....

correct me if i'm wrong....

bye

jarnotjuh

Comment

You can change the gravity settings, but it won't flip the player model. So you can have someone moving along on the ceiling, but they'll still be the 'right' way up, with their head against the surface.

To actually get players to show up at different angles to each other, you need to use warpzones, and I'm sure AngelMapper will be along in a minute to tell you how much fun that is in UEd3.

Comment

i had a glance at the udn tutorial on warpzones

they seem very limiting, no weapons can go through, and there is a limit to how many you can place next to each other, and the fact that you wont see players in another zone kinda sucks too!

ah well, thnx anyway

Comment

Re: i want to be upside down

Originally posted by Ironhide

i want to make a mape like mc eschers relativity
          Well, a fried of mine who is VERY advanced in 3dsmax took about a month of his spare time making Relativity (animated) in max as a side project, and he had a lot of problems.
          Good luck making it in Ued.
          As far as the zones go, I've tried making "upside down" zones several times and it didnt work, as was previously stated, the player will be walking on his head.

Comment

Weeeeeeeeee warpzones!

My tutorial --> http://www.unrealops.com/modules.php...7a3369d5ef35fe

And yes, you CAN see people on the other side.

Comment

Yeah, but angel, what would happen if you'd managed to jump high enough (let's say we got low grav here) to cross the warp portal that way. You'd instantly flip around, right? I don't think it'd look very... gracefull.

If warpzones could be setup flawlessly, totally working, I'd be off making the best gravity defying map right now, but as it's not the case, I'm not bothering. Not only that, instagib seems to be making up most of the servers these days, and that just happens not to work with warpzones.

You know what, I'm still going to try and make one. Only with ballistic weapons, and a big note that it's not for instagib

Comment

Originally posted by BabyNuke
                Yeah, but angel, what would happen if you'd managed to jump high enough (let's say we got low grav here) to cross the warp portal that way. You'd instantly flip around, right? I don't think it'd look very... gracefull.
                That's what blocking volumes are for.

Comment

The "transition" isn't that bad....in a blink, the player flips when it reaches the threshold.

The problems are things like hit-scan weapons, sounds, and lighting.

It could be executed well, if it's given some thought. :up:

Comment

i will personally give you a nobel prize if you work out the different rooms+make them look like that picture

Comment

i can work out the rooms

just cant make it so you can walk along the upsidedown/sideways surfaces

Comment

Subclassing the trace weapons to fire projectiles would be easy enough, the real problem is in distance checks. Like if you have weapons which check radius, or bot AI that checks distances to locations, warp zones mess with all of that because the distance check has doesn't understand that there is a 'shortcut'.

On a side note.... This is exactly what I have been experimenting with lately, varying gravity. It is pretty easy to make the players face the proper direction when on a different 'vertical' axis, the problem has more to do with movement and animation. Animations won't play, and much of that seems native, so if you want animations you've got a lot of work. You could rewrite it to play animations but then you run into problems with stairs and stuff. It could be done (I suspect without too much trouble) but you're either going to need a ton of uscript or native code to do it properly.

However... other actors such as projectiles or vehicles don't have these problems. It is very easy to get these things to work with varying gravity and the hardest part about the different 'up' axis is getting the camera to work right. I'd show you guys what I'm working on but until I get the camera working it's just an idea

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhide
                          i can work out the rooms

just cant make it so you can walk along the upsidedown/sideways surfaces
                          thats what i mean... you have to make individual rooms with warpzones so that it will look like that one room. which is just way 2 complicated

Comment

ill wait till SS gets done with his coding and then do it

Comment

If you could make that map it would totally own! I personally thought about something along those lines... but i honestly have no idea where to start.... someone needs to make that map...
                              they just need to

Comment

Working...
                              X