help w/ modeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help w/ modeling

im a complete noob, so i was wondering if someone is out there that wants to teach me how to use maya/3ds max or any other good modeling program? :-D the tutorials dont seem to help me at all...

learning the basics is pretty simple. try the vtms at 3dbuzz.com

once u have the basics, u should think of something you want to model, and if u run into something u dont know how to do, then post here or do a google search or something for a tutorial

Comment

well i have the basics.. i know how to create polygons and NURBS and such, and i know what i want to model, it doesnt seem too hard for a beginner, its just i dunno how to start or anything. (i'm trying to model Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII btw)

Comment

hmm, that might be a bit tough with the cape and all. look up a cloth tuorial or something for that later.

general thing, when ur trying to model something complex like that that already exists, ALWAYS use a reference image. i prefer to have at least two views, but it can be done with just one. not sure if ull be able to find one, but definatly look.

then, if u do find one, split the views up in paint or photshop or w/e, then put them as a texture on a plane. ill hlep out more if u can find some images

Comment

i already have a front view and a semi-side view

Comment

good. now are they 2 different images or all in one?

also, are u using max or maya?

Comment

2 diff. images, and i can use both. i have both

Comment

good, cause i only know how to do this in max.

make 2 planes, one the size of the front view, the other the size of the side view. then, hit m for the materials browser, and then in the first material, click the diffuse slot, the little blank box next to it. browse to ur image and open it. then, in the top right of the material browser should be a little sphere. if u click it, it should be a opened menu thing, click the cube. do the same thing for the other image in another slot. oh, also click the little box in about the middle of the browser that says 'show material in viewport' or something like that. then assign one material to one plane, and the other material to the other plane. line the planes up in the front and side views, and then u should be good to model.

tips when using reference images: it may help for the object ur modeling to be transparent. one way is to make a new material, in the diffuse slot, this time the color swatch, choose a color and assign to the object, then a little farther right, under the opacity thing, choose a lower number, like 25. this should let u see throught it a see the reference behind. u can also change the opacity of the reference images if u want.

Comment

If you know the basics, then how you model something is completely something you have to figure out. That said, here are a few things that might help:

1) Use Polys. NURBS and other Object types can be used and converted to Polys, but they create a lot of extra Faces that you can do without.

2) Start with basic shapes. A rectangular box for the body, same(or cylinder) for Legs/Arms, maybe a sphere for the Head.

3) Use Split Vertex, Subdivide, Cut Face, or even other Objects to add detail.

The 3DBuzz link above will help you most, so watch both the 3DSMax and Maya Tuts, they'll both give you a lot of info on how to make a character.

Comment

Best advice I can give as an experienced modeller is: Start simple. Remaking Sephiroth when you barely know how to model will cause you so many headaches it's, aha, unreal. Just learn the basics - simple box modelling, poly modelling using planes and edges, spline modelling and so on until you feel comfortable with how things work. Then start modelling some simple meshes using what you've learned (mapping is good for this as you can practice multiple techniques while creating static meshes).

A good progression from static meshes is vehicles. Whether you can put them in game or not doesn't matter, just start trying to put together some cool looking stuff By the time you've got static meshes and vehicles down, you should have enough knowledge + practice to be able to tackle a character model. Character modelling - particularly organic characters - isn't easy, and certainly shouldn't be attempted if you've never really modelled before.

Alternatively, you could just dive straight in and see what happens with Sephy; just be prepared for a lot of headaches trying to figure out how to do the things you need to do to accomplish that goal

Comment

well, im slowly getting this... but does someone wanna take a whack at it and see how it turns out? i'll send the pics i have

Comment

bum....p?

Comment

lol this is greek to me!!!

I am trying to learn max as well. I have learned quite well how to load up items into 3ds, and how to export them naked with no baked textures on them. I am currently only trying to learn how to take created and textured models and export them into UED "WITH" their texture still on them.

Im using max 6

Oh yeah I've watched the VTM's too!! lol

Comment

lol want to help me model this seph picture i have? doesnt matter if its max or 3ds u wanna use

Comment

plz?

Comment

Working...
                              X