Terrain disappears when I go to test play game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrain disappears when I go to test play game

I have been learning through the VTM's that came with UT2k4. I just finished the VTMs for Terrain and when I added a player start to my base to try running around the level to take a look I cannot see the terrain outside the base and I fall to the bottom of the original zone cube. When I am in editor I see it fine and pull up properties and everything. I have gone back over the VTMs but can't find where I went wrong.
    Does anyone have any ideas... HELP!!!!

:weird:

Is your PlayerStart on the Terrain? My guess is that it's below it.

Comment

Try saving your texture package. Unless of course you are saving it in myLevel.

Carrot

Comment

My player start originally was in the base that I made (using a couple of additon/subtraction brushes) then surrounded with terrain to make it look underground. The entrance however does come out of the side of the hill onto the top of the terrain. How should I be saving the textures? I have been just saving the map as a whole from the drop menus at the top of the window.

Comment

I doubt that it's the textures. I presume you have done a full build too.

Without a picture it's hard to tell but it sounds like your base cuts through the terrain in places, allowing you get under the terrain and fall onto the bottom of your big subtract brush.

Did you place a ZoneInfo with bTerrainZone=true ?

Comment

Well I guess somewhere in there I failed to save the terrain and layers because when I reloaded the map they were not in the editor and I got the error when booting up. I have replaced the terrain by deleting the old terrain info and starting over. Thank you for your help. I guess we do learn from our mistakes. :bulb:

Comment

Put all terrain layers and heightmaps in the mylevel package, otherwise you risk losing a lot of work if you forget to save your custom package or the editor crashes.

Comment

VTM on terrain

I had some similiar effects when following the VTM's except, I would get a warning that all textures were set to null, and when I spawned into the map, the terrain was flat. My textures and layers were there, but no height maps. And it wouldnt save my changes either.

Comment

I have gone back in and done a resave but when exiting the editor this time I get an error saying that myLevel is a read only file. Is that as simple as going into the file and changing it like a typical windows folder?

Comment

"mylevel" is not a package, it's shorthand for "in my map". If you create a package called "mylevel" life is going to get painful.

you really need to read the tutorials and threads in this forum about "mylevel", otherwise you're going to waste your time and get frustrated.

Comment

My level

Well in custom static mesh importing, you have to import them into a mypackage, package to incorporate them.

So making a mylevel package isnt a ticking time bomb. And you have to make packages for custom textures you've made too.
                      So you just have to be carefull.

Comment

"pulling hair"

OK now.... I have read several of the posts here about myLevel as a package and the saving of textures and whoeey..... problem is.. I went back and started from scratch. Followed the VTM word for word... it says both the terrain and layer, when creating it, to write in on the package line myLevel to be able to save it with your map. I have done that and have hit rebuild all and have hit the save button and everything.. at that point in time I can enter the map and play with a terrain in the map. When I exit the editor and go back in I get the error messages again about these textures cannot be found and are set to NULL.. AARRGHHHH!

I think that in my frustration somewhere that I may have deleted the myLevel pkg. Is that possible? If so is it possible to recreate it? Also are there any more ideas on where I am missing the boat on this? I have had no problems at all with creating maps that are all brushes and static meshes but this terrain thing is really getting to me. And I have some really good ideas for outdoor maps.:cry:

Comment

I had the same thing ones.... but I placed antiportals inside the mountains.... and everything works fine now... maybe it helps...

Comment

Working...
                          X