UED Crash on Sound Package - Please Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UED Crash on Sound Package - Please Test

I was making a sound package (*.UAX file) with Unreal Edit for UT2004 and the editor crashed when I went to save the package file. So, I made a simple test file and it also crashed on save. I made the same simple sound package file in the Unreal Edit that comes with Tribes Vengeance (it looks like it is based on the UT2003 editor), and the sound pack saved fine without crashing.

Can someone duplicate this test and tell me if the UT2004 editor crashes? Simply import the chimes.wav file from Windows XP's media directory into a new package file named "TestUT" and save it. Does Unreal Edit crash? Can you play the chimes sound when you load the package after restarting Unreal Edit? It crashes on my PC every time I save, and the sound won't play when I push the button.

I don't have windows xp so I can't test it...but I know that ued won't import or at least has problems with either of the following:
    folders that have spaces in them
    or
    file names that have spaces in them

I can't remember which one...if I had to bet $50 and a pound of cheese on something though it'd be folders that have spaces in them

Comment

Originally posted by PointlesS
      I don't have windows xp so I can't test it
      Actually chimes.wav has come with every version of Windows since 3.0. If you have Windows 9X or 2000 you hsould also have that file in the media subdirectory. I just said Windows XP in case the chimes.wav in other versions of Windows is encoded differently.

The problem can't be spaces in the names because I included no spaces and saved in the same directory with the other UAX files.

Comment

Try making the file 22khz, 16 bit mono before importing.

Comment

Originally posted by Poisonmonkey
          Try making the file 22khz, 16 bit mono before importing.
          The file is 16-bit, stereo, and 22KHz as shipped. That should play in UT2004 just fine.

Would you try importing that file into a new sound package and see if UED crashes?

Comment

I actually just imported the windows chimes.wav twice, with no errors, and no crashes, they worked perfectly. I imported a chimes wav I converted to mono, and after it worked, for the hell of it, I imported the stereo version of the same file, both times with no problems. I have no clue as to what your problems is.

Comment

I actually just imported the windows chimes.wav twice, with no errors, and no crashes, they worked perfectly. I imported a chimes wav I converted to mono, and after it worked, for the hell of it, I imported the stereo version of the same file, both times with no problems. I have no clue as to what your problems is.
              The problem occurs for me after I save the file. UED spits out an error and crashes although the file is saved. However, the chimes will not play in the sound browser when UED is restarted and the saved UAX file reloaded. As I said above, it works perfectly in the tribes Vengeance editor which is the only other version of UED I have installed right now.

Comment

Well, after going back into Ued and opening the package I created, the Stereo Wav will not play, only the Monos version will play.

Comment

Well, after going back into Ued and opening the package I created, the Stereo Wav will not play, only the Monos version will play.
                  Yes, see something is definitely wrong. Mine never would play either, even before I saved it.

Surely the Unreal Engine supports stereo files. The editor is just running the same sound engine as the game, right?

Comment

No the editor does not support stereo sounds. You have to import a mono sound. Another weird thing is that your .wav file has to be in the ut2004/sounds directory when you import it. I've never been able to import a sound that wasn't in that directory, maybe you are some how getting it in and that's why it's crashing.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Importing_Sounds

Check it out.

This document says that the sounds have to be mono in the UT build of the engine, so I'm betting that the tribes version supports it due to some modifications those developers made.

Carrot

Comment

Originally posted by ImaCarrot
                      No the editor does not support stereo sounds.
                      So, what you are saying is that I can import stereo sounds (if from the sounds subdirectory), I just can't play/preview them in the editor?

Comment

That is what that means. It really isn't that big of a deal, unless you create your sounds to specifically come out of one channel to simulate something next to the player for example. Mono works fine for most everything. Hate to break it to ya, not everyone has stereo speakers or surround sound set up on their computers, I know I don't.

Carrot

Comment

...just to mention that, through the gui i can import samples from another directory just fine. Never met a crash upon saving.

Comment

It should be mono, as described on UDN

I remember reading (forgotten where) that it was a game design decision as trying to merge stereo music with sound effects produced unsatisfactory results.

Comment

Working...
                            X