Copying from one UKX file into another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying from one UKX file into another?

Is it possible to copy a skeletal mesh and/or animation set from one *.ukx file into another one? If so, how can it be done? I have tried using UED's animation browser to do this without success. I have also looked for a 3rd-party tool, but haven't found anything. UTPT can't extract UT200X skeletal meshes or animation sets from UKX files so I can't use it to reimport them into another *.ukx file.

Animation browser. Animation menu -> Rename Animation Set. Mesh menu -> Rename Mesh. Put your package name and hit ok.

Be absolutely sure not to save the packages that you've just renamed models from when you close Ued.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by DarkSaber
      Animation browser. Animation menu -> Rename Animation Set. Mesh menu -> Rename Mesh. Put your package name and hit ok.

Be absolutely sure not to save the packages that you've just renamed models from when you close Ued.
      GENIUS!

That worked great.

I would just like to add that if you do the above steps, when you exit Unreal Editor and it prompts you to save the new package you created, you must add the ".ukx" extension to the filename yourself or else it saves the file without an extension and you cannot reopen it later. Opening the file without the ".ukx" extension on it in the Animation Browser causes Unreal Edit to crash.

Comment

Save it before you exit the editor.

Comment

I would have, but I couldn't.

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
          Save it before you exit the editor.
          I don't think you can. When you do the above steps, the animation browser appears to keep working with the same package you are copying from NOT the new package you specified in the dialog box. The only way I was sure that I didn't corrupt the old package was to exit and save that way.

Comment

Correction

Originally posted by hughbackov
            I don't think you can. When you do the above steps, the animation browser appears to keep working with the same package you are copying from NOT the new package you specified in the dialog box. The only way I was sure that I didn't corrupt the old package was to exit and save that way.
            Okay, upon further review it appears you can save the new package without waiting until you exit. When you create the new package, it immediately appears in the "Package" drop-down list IF you didn't name the new package the same name as an existing one. So, you can just pull down the list and select the new package. Then choose the "Save" command from the "File" menu. The filename shown should be for your new package with the extension already on it.

Here's something else important to note: If you want to copy into an existing UKX file then you MUST open that UKX file in the Animation Browser before you type its filename into the rename dialog box. Otherwise, the Animation Browser will just create a new UKX file with the same name as the existing one and when you save the UKX file it will overwrite the one on the drive.

Comment

Working...
            X