Help saught for photo-realistic lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help saught for photo-realistic lighting

I am having difficulty lighting a map of my kitchen. This is the real thing:

This is in-game:

(and here is the unreal part, in the cupboards

(Sorry about the lousy stitching.)
    I am incapable of creating the lighting to match the original.
    Is there a kind soul out there who could give me some advice as to how to reproduce the real lighting correctly?
    The (pre-alpha) map is available here

Any help would be most appreciated :up:

An exact match will be very difficult, but you should be able to get closeish. I think some coloured lighting will help a lot, a brown(tannish) orangy colour will help. Add a more White SpecialLit light for your Light fixture to give the Whitish glow.

Comment

Woah, at first I thought you made the top one

(I'm no help )

Comment

hmmm, First I'd try putting an ambient lighting of a yellowish orange colour, to give the colour of the real lighting. as far as the cupboards go, I would try placing a spotlight at either end of the hanging fuorecent lights to give you the curved shadow at the top of the cupboards. you likely will never get it to be exact, but you can probably get something really close.

Comment

the lighting in your level itself looks almost white. make the light more saturated and orangey.

also, i cant tell how big the map is. but if you are making a GIANT map out of BSP, you will never get the lighting definition you need to get the cool shadows you have in your real kitchen.

for every BSP surface in the map, it can have a maximum lightmap applied of 256x256 i believe.

so if you have a 256x256 square on the wall and set the lightmap to 1, that is the sharpest it will get.

when the BSP is that size and that lightmap resolution, you get a 1 to 1 ratio. for every 1x1 square on the floor, you get 1 pixel of lightmap resolution.

now if you have a room that is 32768x32768 square and set the lightmap to 1, you will not get the same clarity as the 256x256 piece of BSP. you wont get that 1:1 ratio. you would get 1 pixel of light definition for every 128x128. a 1:128 ratio.

if you segmented the BSP in your map more along the shadow lines, it will light better. but it will also run slower and use a lot more memory.

but first i would start with seeing where shadows in your real kitchen exist and where they dont exist in your map. then work from there by getting the color right.

Comment

lol exactly orangey

Comment

Thanks for all your quick comments.

The kitchen is 1820x1020UU (exact scale: 1cm=3uu) - pretty small, as you can see from the actor size in the 3rd screenshot, the cupboard just above the bot that been shot is the cupboard on the front left in the 2nd screenshot with the badly-lit texture on the top.

@Willhaven: Thanks for the explanation, but what do you mean by "set your lightmap to 1"?

@All: Yes, more orange makes it look closer, but it's not the colour whch bothers me; how do I do the 5 lights above the table such that they cast the shadows, but without burning the texture of the table? I've tried everything - spotlights, incidence, weaker lights in the light fittings with compensatory lights above - it all looks ghastly.

BTW I really don't care how much memory or CPU it takes, I'm really set on reproducing realism (in the map, you can read Miro's signature on the engraving )

I'd be really grateful if a wizard could open the map in UED and tell me "Oh yea, you need to use an XYZ light"

p.s.@Krogen: When I'm finished, they'll both look the same :haha:

Comment

Originally posted by maurice2
                @Willhaven: Thanks for the explanation, but what do you mean by "set your lightmap to 1"?
                under the surface menu (where you can set the scale and rotation of the texture), you will see a lightmap setting. normally it is set to 32. 1 pixel per 32uu. the higher you set it the less detailed the lightmaps become.

256 is the least detail... 1 is the best detail.

Comment

Originally posted by maurice2
                  Rightclick on a BSP surface, go to surface properties and in the lightmap dropdown menu, you can set it to 1 there. (Edit: ****, too late!)

Also, "photorealism" isn't achievable in the Unreal 2 engine. It's not even possible in the Source or Doom3 or UE3 or X-Ray engines. Real lighting uses radiosity, high dynamic range, atmospheric filtering etc etc etc.

With UE2, you can make shadows better (as people have suggested), change the lighting to match the colour of the real-world lights to simulate.. well.. the same colour. To simulate the atmosphere, a very subtle distance fog will do the trick (purely decorative) and maybe coronas if it's meant to be misty or whatever.

To simulate light bounce (which is to say, shadows that aren't pitch black) you could just use some faint zone lighting.

Good luck with it though. You can make stuff look nice, definately. But "photo realism" is a few generations of engines away I'm afraid.

Comment

Somthing that might help is matching the lighting externally to the lighting in the photo.

Because of the light visible through the windows your version kind of gives the impression of a naturally light room but your trying to recreate an artificially lit environment.

Also you could try using Shadow projectors to define the shadows more realistically, never used them myself but i believe this is what there for.

Comment

Wow, I owe you guys a beer

Setting the lightmap to 1 is ... OMFG ... just what i wanted (look at the shadow from the glass on the worktop and the lights on the table):

OK, it's not photo-realistic, but I understand now how to get there. Isn't lighting a pain eh? :cry:

Sincere thanks to all, that was a *great* help :up:

P.S. RGB8 lighting seems to look nicer. Any ideas why?
                      P.P.S. I don't notice any perfomance hit, but I've got a 9800/256Mb so I expect a decent framerate. Could these settings be a problem for others maybe?

Comment

lookin good!!

I have a Q: Increasing lightmap detail also increases file size??
                        another Q: whats the deal with the trigger icon in-game??

Comment

Originally posted by el_chico
                          I have a Q: Increasing lightmap detail also increases file size??
                          yes...you can save quite a bit on file size (and actually video card memory) by setting unseen surfaces to the lowest quality...also changing the lightmap format in the build options can give you a good trade off in file size and quality

Comment

Originally posted by PointlesS
                            you can save quite a bit on file size (and actually video card memory) by setting unseen surfaces to the lowest quality.
                            or Unlit?

I assume he made the triggers visible in game for debugging purposes o.O

And may I also suggest the original poster add ambient lighting and a slight yellow/orange/brown hue to his lights, it will make a big difference.

Comment

Working...
                            X