Static Mesh doesn't snap to floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static Mesh doesn't snap to floor

When I select Align-Snap to the Floor on a static mesh I get half of it above the floor and the other half below why?? I made a terrain and all I also followed a tutorial but it still snaps it wrong

Sounds like your static meshes pivot point is in the center of the mesh. You will need to re-export your static mesh, but before you do, move it's pivot point to the bottom of the mesh.

Comment

sorry how do I move the pivot I tried anything but that red tthing stays there all the time

Comment

In your external modeling package (Maya, etc) move your pivot to the bottom of the mesh, then re-import it into UED again.

Comment

If you use the ActorX plugin for the commercial version of Maya, the pivot will end upp where origo is (0, 0, 0). Easiest way to fix this is to put the pivot where you like it (Insert or D) and then move the object to the center of the world. In the top right corner there is a white box with the text sel, change this to Numeric Input Absolute and just type 0 0 0 inte the white window.

By the way. Does anyone know if there is a different way to set the pivot? I read somewhere that the Rotate pivot would control this but I never got it to work.

Comment

ya but my prob is with a standard static mesh found on the game I don't know if I can import it to 3ds

Comment

In that case, don't Snap to Floor. You'll have to manually place it. You might be able to do a temporary Pivot change in UEd:

Right click on the SMesh(where you want the Pivot) and in the Pivot section choose "Place Pivo here". Now try Snapping it to Floor. Personally I'd just move and align it to the floor though as it's much quicker.

Comment

Select the object.
                In the top view , right-click just a little away from the grid intersection where you want the pivot point.
                Select 'Place pivot snapped here'.
                Set the pivot in the same way in the side or front view.
                Check the little red cross to make sure the pivot is correctly placed in all 3D spaces.
                If the red cross keeps jumping away, right-click the object, do a 'reset all' (the object will probably jump miles away). Go fetch the object back to where you want it and restart this procedure.

It can be a pain and sometimes the quickest is to re-do the mesh and set the pivot before doing your 'convert to static mesh' (if that's how you created it). If you made it with Maya/3DS then moving it to the origin is easiest.

Comment

just temporary turn off the grid snapping in the editor (click the green square at the bottom of the editor) and move the mesh as good as it goes to the floor. The editor is very gentle if the meshes are not exactly on the right spot. It's not like bsp where you never should go off the grid.

Comment

Working...
                  X