Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions.

Hi all.

ok, I have hunted high and low, looked at dozens of sites but can't find out how to include vehicles in my maps. Anyone got any pointers?

Also, I have read that static meshes are lower on CPU usage than brushes, so if I were to create a house that you could go into could I build this in Maya or would you recommend I still use the editor to make the house?

Thanks.

Larky.

to put maps in pull up the static mesh browser or texture or whatever one you like then go to actors tab and find vehicles factorys and i think you then find the one you want to put into your map and select right click on the place iin your map where you want it and it should say in the menu place <vehicle etc.>
    thats all i know but i hope its helpful

Comment

Re: A few questions.

Originally posted by Larky
      Also, I have read that static meshes are lower on CPU usage than brushes, so if I were to create a house that you could go into could I build this in Maya or would you recommend I still use the editor to make the house?
      Well it's kind of hard to say for sure. The thing is Brushes supports pixel shading while static meshes only support vertex shading.

This means for example, lets say you put a nice tree in front of the house, If you put a static mesh, the shadow of the tree, when hitting the house would'nt look all too nice cause with vertex shading the shadows span entire poly faces so the entire front of the house will be darker. If you make the house out of a brush, with pixel shading, the shadow of the tree will fall nicely on the house and create a nice tree shaped shadow on the house.

But if you are gonna put a lot of the same houses, you might still want to do it in static meshes sinse the way the unreal engine calculates static meshes, if there's lots of copies of the same mesh, the mesh only gets calculated once and then the editor only copies the mesh over and over again so many meshes process much faster then many brushes.

Comment

For the vehicle factories to work in an ONS map you'll also have to put ONS power cores in the map. Or, you could put vehicle pawns in the map (found under "pawns") but the problem with them (I believe) is they only spawn once. Or, you could use the "summon" command to call vehicles into the map when you're in-game single-player-mode, but of course that only works when you actually enter the command into the console.

Angel has a ONS toot that should help: http://angelmapper.com/tutorials.htm

Comment

Hi.

Many thanks for the replies. I'm off to work where I'll blag some time to try this stuff out!

Have some cool ideas for maps, I'll put a link to them up for testing when thay are ready.

Again, many thanks.

Larky.

Comment

Working...
          X