Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mappers...do you make your own Static Meshes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I've got into mapping I will be. Modelling has been the way I've made money since I left college, so I see no reason not to do it for my maps.

Larky.

Comment

Originally posted by V3rt1go
      I never thought I'd see an app that made photoshop look overly simple. Then I looked at UnrealEd. Then I never thought I'd see an app that made UnEd look simple. Then I looked at the first buzz toot on Maya. And I'm thinking....I need this like a hole in the head.
      You eat, breathe, and hear right?

Comment

Originally posted by Krogen
        Hehe... Imagine all of them without GUI.
        All I have to do is think back to the days of antiquity when Report Program Generator was all the rage at the local community college, which persuaded me that programming is evil, heh.
        Originally posted by sandorski
        You eat, breathe, and hear right?
        Would I score even half a point by saying those things rely upon organs rather than holes in ones head?

Comment

All I have to do is think back to the days of antiquity when Report Program Generator was all the rage at the local community college, which persuaded me that programming is evil, heh.

Would I score even half a point by saying those things rely upon organs rather than holes in ones head?
          +0.5

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

I've recently learned how to make meshes and personally it's a helluva lot more fun than mapping.

Originally posted by UT2K3Freak
              I've never tried static mesh modeling...is it hard?
              I think smeshing is a lot easier than mapping.

At least with Milkshape it is.
              You can go the MayaPLE route I'm sure, but it seems more of a chore to mesh with that program.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanover_Fist
                I've recently learned how to make meshes and personally it's a helluva lot more fun than mapping.

I think smeshing is a lot easier than mapping.

At least with Milkshape it is.
                You can go the MayaPLE route I'm sure, but it seems more of a chore to mesh with that program.
                Maya is likely more complex(haven't tried Milkshape), but it does have advantages, especially in the area of UV Texturing(so I hear).

Comment

Here's what gets me. I looked at Milkshape and at a first glance it seems like 3d Modeling Lite, so I could probably get into it relatively quickly. Which is good. Then I see this: "a complete tutorial with 140 pages and 650 screenshots."

And this is just to make one thing.

Okay, it's an animated thing ( I guess) but the thing of it is I don't want to spend days and weeks making just one thing for one little part of a map. I want to finish a map sometime before I die of old age. I mean, if I really push, I might even finish a map before UT2005 comes out. But if I start building smeshes I might as well shoot myself in the head because by the time I finish a map absolutely nothing I've made will be import-able into whatever happens to be the state of the art in like the year 2020 LoL!

I just want somebody to make a **** ladder! I'm tired of sticking the ladder rung smesh into pipes! EEEEiiiiiiiooooooGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Comment

Yes, with 3DS, amazingly fun program. Now that I've finally discovered how to make textures that UED understands with sub-objects, it's even better :up:

Comment

Here's what gets me. I looked at Milkshape and at a first glance it seems like 3d Modeling Lite, so I could probably get into it relatively quickly. Which is good. Then I see this: "a complete tutorial with 140 pages and 650 screenshots."

Okay, it's an animated thing ( I guess) but the thing of it is I don't want to spend days and weeks making just one thing for one little part of a map. I want to finish a map sometime before I die of old age. I mean, if I really push, I might even finish a map before UT2005 comes out. But if I start building smeshes I might as well shoot myself in the head because by the time I finish a map absolutely nothing I've made will be import-able into whatever happens to be the state of the art in like the year 2020 LoL!

I just want somebody to make a **** ladder! I'm tired of sticking the ladder rung smesh into pipes! EEEEiiiiiiiooooooGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
                      It does take a few months to learn, but once you got it down you'll be making all kinds of things. If you plan on continuing to map, the skill will only become increasingly important.

Comment

With milkshape in maybe 2 minutes.

1) make a box
                        2) scale it in the correct coordinates (step "4" see the x,y,z?) to make it look like a 2x4
                        3) make a cylinder, rotate it (remember x,y,z)
                        4) scale/rotate
                        5) make a "rectangular" array (ladder rungs) using the "tools" option (you can even skip this step by just hitting "Ctrl-D" (copy selection) and placing them manually.

You should try it. Making stuff like this in UED sucks.

Comment

You're both evil for tempting me like this LoL!

Comment

Working...
                          X