3ds2unr works ok then what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    actually, I did Angel Mapper's (http://angelmapper.com/tutorials/vertexanimation.htm) great tutorial on vertex animation using 3ds2unr but unfortunately didn't get the same results, since my animated non-charater (a snake) was outside of the 256x256x256 cube.

I did follow the vertex animation tutorial on udn, but then scripting reared its nasty head and im a not too good in that area.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Lee3dee
    u know, I tried using 3ds2unr for exporting a animated mesh for a non-character mesh, just a animated object, but i also couldn't get it to work. I managed to export it and the animations from 3dsmax, but my unrealscripting is limited to continue any further
    yeah, it can be daunting, but there are a number of classes in the game source scripts that can be studied, and a search for "vertex animation" on this forum & others will likely turn up threads that have helped others in a similar situation. also check the Unreal Wiki, where a number of articles mentioning 3ds2unr are known to hang out

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Dreamchaser
    So it is back to square one and study what kind of proceedure I need to perform some relaible conversions,
    one approach to this is MilkShape, which besides being a useful modeling app, can convert dozens of file types, with an emphasis on game-specific formats.

for examples: the models you mentioned in your last post are static meshes, which for UEd means getting a file in .ase or .lwo format. MilkShape doesn't do .ase, but it can convert the .3ds to .lwo, and the imports work just fine. also worth mentioning is UltimateUnwrap3D, which afaik does export usable .ase files.

i'm confident that a search of the Unreal Wiki for either of these terms (.lwo or .ase) will turn up useful info, and that's just one of many sources. the info isn't that far away, nor are you really back at square one (you've at least identified how you want to use the models in the game).
    Wiki MilkShape article, one of many returns on a search for ".lwo"

Leave a comment:

• replied
    u know, I tried using 3ds2unr for exporting a animated mesh for a non-character mesh, just a animated object, but i also couldn't get it to work. I managed to export it and the animations from 3dsmax, but my unrealscripting is limited to continue any further

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks guys I have been --hitting the books--.
    Modeling itself is not hard to understand or accomplish.

This includes bones, joints, shading, skinning, etc.

It is the lack of any common industry standards due to copyright paranoid modelling software companies which makes it hard.

Going the extra mile as it were to develope your own distinctiveness in models is one thing.

However, converting to another format is quite another thing.

The problem is reliable conversion for one format to another requiring the user to be well versed in the detail info of both formats to be worked with.

Sometimes it makes sense not to reinvent the wheel, especially when there is a whole palette of models ready for download just needing conversion from one format to another.

I mean details like ordinary handrails, scattered bricks from a damaged wall, a typical city street light, traffic signs, etc. all are important details in a map, but only get attention if they are not there.

So it is back to square one and study what kind of proceedure I need to perform some relaible conversions, which will eventually save me a lot of mapping time and still give a good quality map.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Doing this as a hobby/passtime has given be a greater appreciation for all the hard work that goes into making a game.

Do you have the SE dvd edition, it shows how to export from 3ds max (under static meshes)

If you just want the 3ds mesh into UT, export it as an ASE file and Ued can import it just fine.

or

start reading:

http://www.planetunreal.com/fordy/gr.../contents.html

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Dreamchaser
    Why the hell can't people keep this stuff simple without a guy having to study a huge bunch of ****?

What about all the neat stuff online folks have already done and ready for download?
    they studied a huge bunch of **** and jumped through a few hoops and did the work necessary.

do some research and reading and you'll realize that even for the pro devs, the route from cool idea to an in-game model is not a snap. you can spend a whole lotta breath ranting about it, but it really won't change things at all.

again, what do you want to do with your import -- fly it, look at it sitting in the ground, have it cruise the friendly skies of your map? any of these goals means having to learn some of that ****.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    no special goals Just saw a neat model in *.3ds format, downloaded it and started trying to convert it.

Mayaple totally sucks for anything else but original work provided you know the best ways to set up your animation before exporting a skeletal mesh into UnrealEd.

I really sent having to jump through hoops to export animation from Mayaple, it sucks and one little mistake means a mess.

Plus somebody's idea to use a closed architecture modeling software with an open architecture gaming software like UT2004 was not very smart.

Even 3ds2unr gets real picky about animation sequencing.

Why the hell can't people keep this stuff simple without a guy having to study a huge bunch of ****?

What about all the neat stuff online folks have already done and ready for download?

Mostly 3dsMax format, but still,,,,,,,

Leave a comment:

• replied
    3ds2unr is old technology, nearly obsolete for anything except getting vertex animations into the modern games (which doesn't seem appropriate for an aircraft model, but i could be wrong). btw, what game are you trying to import into (UT, UT200X)?

models for modern games are usually imported as static meshes (which can be made into movers and certain types of vehicles if appropriate) or as skeletal meshes (character animations and other types of vehicles). what is your goal for the import?

Leave a comment:

• started a topic 3ds2unr works ok then what?

3ds2unr works ok then what?

The util gave me *.uc and two files *.3d

I tried ucc but do not know what I am doing and don't want to mess anything up.

p47d.uc
    p47d_a.3d
    p47d_d.3d

I was trying to import this neat WW2 P47 fighter aircraft model from 3ds max format.
Working...
X