A limit to the number of BSP Brushes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A limit to the number of BSP Brushes?

Ok my friend and clan member Xiphon wanted me to ask this? Does the editor have a built in limit for the amout of BSP brushes it can use, and if so what is it and can it be disabled. He's currently working on a massive map and he's made a bunch of building you can go into using BSP, now he wants to add zoneportals and anti-portals and the editor wont insert them like it usually does.

[offtopic] I myself had a question, is there a way to change the pickup of health and shields to another mesh, but keep that mesh from disappearing so it looks like a charger on the wall?[/offtopic]

could you explain a bit more? liek how he's adding everything...there's no limit at all...but there's a limit of 64 zones...and if you need more than 64 zones then you'd need to rethink your map...

Comment

It won't let him add any zones at all.

Comment

How is he trying to Add them? For a Zone Portal you need to size the Builder Brush to an opening where you want the Zone then Add Special Brush and choose Zone Portal, in order to completely Zone an area you need to repeat the process for every opening to that area, thus sealing it completely off. Inside of buildings should work if all Doors and Windows are Zoned, however if he is trying to Zone, say a city block from the ground to the sky, it may not work as if even a small bit of the area is visible from anywhere else the whole Zone will be rendered. Not sure if this will work, but an invisible BSP Brush just above the top of buildings might allow Zoning of city blocks(agin assuming that that's what he is attempting).

AFAIK, Anti-Portals only work for Terrain or StaticMeshes and not for BSP. Using Terrain for the roadways/outdoor areas might be a good idea, though would be a lot of extra work if he has everything in BSP already. The use of Fog might also help a lot.

Comment

Did he rebuild the geometry? Zones don't come into existence instantly, the geometry needs to be rebuilt so the enginge can calculate and apply the zones.

Comment

Re: A limit to the number of BSP Brushes?

Originally posted by DarKGamer
            Ok my friend and clan member Xiphon wanted me to ask this? Does the editor have a built in limit for the amout of BSP brushes it can use, and if so what is it and can it be disabled. He's currently working on a massive map and he's made a bunch of building you can go into using BSP, now he wants to add zoneportals and anti-portals and the editor wont insert them like it usually does.
            There is no limit I've even encountered / heard of to the amount of BSP, however, your friend should be careful to optimize well.
            If you have alot of BSP needing to be rendered at the same time, the engine will choke and slow down alot (we're talking probably > 300 rendered BSP objects at one time).. although this was more an issue in UT99 where all you really had was BSP, it shouldn't be a problem at all in UT2k3/UT2k4 with the introduction of Smeshs.

Have him take into account what sandorski said for using terrain if he's not already.

I'm not sure about your pickup question though.

Comment

What I do is convert bsp's to static meshes. Especially if the bsp brush is goning to be the same size and shape in a lot of places.

It is easy to do:

Create your brush, shape and texture it to your liking.

In wireframe mode highlight/select the brush.

Go to the static mesh browser Edit drop down menu

The usual package,group, and name dialog pops up.

Make the package mylevel and the group and name whatever you want.

When you shut down UED do NOT save any numbered packages.

Mylevel package will be saved with your map just like the Mylevel texture packages.

The advantages? less cpu resources used because statics are easier on the system.

The disadvantages? UED created static meshes have to be can only be textured one poly at a time, just like the BSP it replaced.

For better models skin wrapping can be done in Mayaple.

MayaPLE will allow the creation of static mesh models at exactly the same scale as your bsp's. With a little practice you can skin them anyway you want and transfer them directly to UED through the plugin. You can add your textures when the model is in UED.

Comment

Working...
              X