UE3: Physics Interaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UE3: Physics Interaction

Right so today I finished HL2's SP for the 4th time god dammit! The game is so amazing and one of the things that makes it such is the physics, they really are great. Just being able to pick things up really makes you feel apart of a living breathing world....

Now what I want to know is if UE3 will support a Havok esque / HL2ish physics system where every little thing can be interacted with?

In the tech videos we saw lights and individual pieces of a refrigerator being taken out.....does this reflect the amount of interactivity we can expect in UE3 powered games produced by yourselves?

Can you imagine ONS like gameplay where you can build your own scrap forts....Oh my. /me drools.

Most likely; I think UED2 has some stuff, but it won't work online.

Comment

Re: UE3: Physics Interaction

Originally posted by Grimlock
      Now what I want to know is if UE3 will support a Havok esque / HL2ish physics system where every little thing can be interacted with?
      It uses Novodex physics, and what you can interact with is determined by the people who put the game together, not the physics engine.

Comment

Re: Re: UE3: Physics Interaction

Originally posted by Ein Stein
        It uses Novodex physics, and what you can interact with is determined by the people who put the game together, not the physics engine.
        Yeah I know that but previously UT2003/4 used karma which isn't really that good when compared with other physics engines.

Comment

Kinda [OT], how do you apply physics stuff in UE2? I mean, I want to make my maps a bit more "free"

Comment

won't work online, though. check udn.

Comment

It wont work online because of Epic, they seriously need to fix that bug. karma supports physics, but only offline ATM, you can implement them in your map, but they wont work online until Epic fixes the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by DarKGamer
                It wont work online because of Epic, they seriously need to fix that bug. karma supports physics, but only offline ATM, you can implement them in your map, but they wont work online until Epic fixes the problem.
                How do you impliment them into your map, and what can you impliment them on?

Comment

look into karma actors at UDN

Comment

Originally posted by Tidu
                    Most likely; I think UED2 has some stuff, but it won't work online.
                    Well, it does but it's beta:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=410106

After playing HL2 I don't really see that huge of a wow factor with the graphics atleast, not compaired to UT graphics (if professionally done), maybe I missed a setting but I didn't see any specular bloom for example - they showed it off in an e3 demo video a long time ago, I'm running a dx9 card with everything set high otherwise. Did anyone see an animated sky in the game anywhere? No realtime reflections, not even a mirror in a bathroom, I don't recall shooting a light and making a room go completely dark.

The major dissapointment was aside from a few obvoius puzzles the physics part wasn't used very well, I kept wanting to stack up boxes to get up higher and would bump up against invisible blocking volumes or something.

The AI was either smart of dumb as a box of rocks with little in between, nothing like the e3 video shown where you would block the door and after the AI guy trys to push it in decides to shoot you through the window.

It was a good game, but not as revolutionary as the first.

oh well, back on topic - if only physics did work online we could be throwing toilets at each other in ONS instead of driving them around.

Comment

Originally posted by DarKGamer
                      I imagine it's more a feature to keep online servers lag-free.

Although Karma is definately not the best, remember it's really showing it's age compared to the newer engines. I believe Epic started working with MathEngine's Karma in May 2001.. which in the gaming world is a really really long time.

UE3 will most likely be addressing the recently-found desire for real-time physics in games.

Comment

Working...
                      X