Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mapper's Tool - needs your input!

Hi guys.

I'm currently writing a small program that has a few functions that I would have liked when I first started mapping.

They are:
    • Average finder - finds an average - handy for times when you just can't be bothered doing any maths
    • Texture size checker - checks the size of a texture and returns whether unrealed could import it. If it can, it gives you the all clear, if it can't, then the program tells you why not and gives you suggestions on how to fix it.
    • Metric/Unreal Units converter - gives an approximate conversion of either Metric to Unreal Units, or back the other way.

I'm thinking I might embed a help dialog into it with the filtered sorting of some sort of list, and compile a large help file with lots of info from the wiki, this place, my head, other random places, so you could just switch to the help dialog and quickly find out what you need.

Any suggestions?

Re: New Mapper's Tool - needs your input!

Originally posted by MarZer

Any suggestions?
    One thing would be definitely handy and that is some way of determining size, whether it be dimensions or distances.

:up:

Duca

Comment

The metric/unreal unit converter would be a great help.

Comment

Re: Re: New Mapper's Tool - needs your input!

Originally posted by Ducatisto
        One thing would be definitely handy and that is some way of determining size, whether it be dimensions or distances.
        In Unreal Units?

Comment

Duca
          How do you mean? If you mean a units converter, that long with the other two things listed in the top post are already in and working.

If that's not what you meant, then what? I appreciate the suggestions, the more for this sort of thing the better!

Comment

One thing would be definitely handy and that is some way of determining size, whether it be dimensions or distances. Duca
            LoL, here we go again! [Correct me if I'm wrong, heh, and go for it if I'm right!] [I know I'm remembering the right thread, just not sure who posted to it!]

Comment

Re: Re: Re: New Mapper's Tool - needs your input!

Originally posted by V3rt1go
              LoL, here we go again! [Correct me if I'm wrong, heh, and go for it if I'm right!] [I know I'm remembering the right thread, just not sure who posted to it!]
              Huh? :weird:

Comment

Duca
                Shift+Middle mouse button ?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: New Mapper's Tool - needs your input!

Originally posted by maurice2
                  Shift+Middle mouse button ?

We all know that one, duh . But in reality if you have a large map it is a pain having to see both points to measure it this way. Another tool if made to calculate those measurements instead of expanding the window that you are working in to max and then using SHIFT/MMB would be a whole lot more convenient

Sorry for the vagueness. And for dimensions, for arguments sake brush A is "X" size, brush B is "Y" size etc.

I do know this is possible by monotonous actions but if it was painlessly done by a third party tool it would save some time.

Duca

Comment

one thing that would really help but might not work well is if u could just hold down the left mouse button and move mouse to creat a box and then do the same thing in alll the port windows sept the 3D view and it would atomaticly make a cube/wat ever shape you want the problem is how to switch the shapes and it might not work well with some organic shapes but thats just what i think would help might actually just suck and be pointless

Comment

Originally posted by Mspdr
                      one thing that would really help but might not work well is if u could just hold down the left mouse button and move mouse to creat a box and then do the same thing in alll the port windows sept the 3D view and it would atomaticly make a cube/wat ever shape you want the problem is how to switch the shapes and it might not work well with some organic shapes but thats just what i think would help might actually just suck and be pointless
                      Sounds like the way you create primitives in 3dsmax... FYI, I'm writing a small external application that you would be able to switch to, not modding unrealed

Comment

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ok good luck with that:up:

Comment

I would also very much like to see this too. A few tools that like by rightclicking a wireframe brush Mesure Tool and it would then display a # (in UU) next to the closet line the cursor is next to.

or by selecting 2 or more objects (brushes, actors, etc) and then selecting the Distance tool, a line is drawn between each object (in the order they where selected) and the distance for each of them is shown next to each line.

And my last idea is too add the ability for viewports to turn on or off a ruler around the viewport (in UU) and guide lines for the mapper to use. (Just like how Adobe PhotoShop uses rulers and guide lines)

Comment

Working...
                          X