ok, this may sound dorky...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, this may sound dorky...

where are the flags for ctf that i can insert? this is my first time doing a ctf map...

Actor > Navigation Point > Jump Dest > Jump Spot > Game Objective > CTFBase > xRealCTFBase

Using the "search" feature in this forum, is your friend.

Comment

At least he's not asking about white veiwports

Five subclasses. Is that really necessary?

Comment

No it's not really necessary, the same as most of the hierachies in the class structures aren't necessary. Don't forgot though, that DE originally started the game, and epic tacked tons of extra stuff in when they took over development for the PC. That's why there's no end of baggage (all the different controller classes, pawn classes, two different particle engines and so on).

I imagine UnrealEngine 3 will be a lot cleaner, as it's all Epic's own work

Comment

That's not Dorky at all, the Flags are in a stupid place that makes no logical sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Fecal Marmaset
            Actor > Navigation Point > Jump Dest > Jump Spot > Game Objective > CTFBase > xRealCTFBase

Using the "search" feature in this forum, is your friend.

jump dest? wow. i thought that stood for jump destination...

Comment

Originally posted by GAGGLONE
              jump dest? wow. i thought that stood for jump destination...
              It does, sorta. The bots should want to jump to a flag, although maybe not *literally*. I think it's a special pathing thingy that adds more importance, plus allows them to jump if they're near-but-not-on or something, maybe to dodge over it for faster grabbing. I really have no idea (exactly), but my butt wanted to talk, so..

Dorky B (so on-topic, it's ridiculous)

Comment

o thank god, im glad to see that im not the only person who thinks that

Comment

i remember one of the first things i did in ued 3.0 was open the actor viewer and have a look around, saved me some time later on too

Comment

It's just as goofy as the ONS stuff. All the vehicle factories are under vehicle factories, but the link gun turret is under pawns as a "manual gun pawn." Maybe it makes sense to a programmer, but it drives me nuts because by the time I'm on to the next map I forget where the heck turrets are.

Comment

Originally posted by V3rt1go
                      Maybe it makes sense to a programmer...
                      that's exactly why the class hierarchies are the way they are. the entire game is, after all, only programming of one sort or another, so it would *have* to make sense to the programmers -- each subclass inherits properties and functions from its parent(s), so which existing class to extend is based on what the new class is supposed to do. it isn't an arbitrary choice. it leads to some odd associations (the CTF flag system being particularly byzantine) but when you get down to the basics of OOP concepts, it does make sense.

Comment

Heh, and an "OOP" is what? (Really, I just to "drive" the thing LoL.)

Comment

Object Oriented Programming

Comment

Linkgun Turret extending Pawn does make sense if you think about it from a gamer and programming perspective. It's not a vehicle, so it doesn't need any special vehicle code, so it doesn't extend vehicle. You operate the link turret by stepping on a platform, where your view changes to that of the turret. So really, all it is doing is changing your point of view and limiting movement. You can do that easily by extending Pawn and adding some extra functions. Vehicles all extend Pawn as well of course, but since they need a lot of additional physics code and so on, they have a couple of extra superclasses that all other vehicles extend from.

Comment

Well that makes sense. My problem is that I have it stuck in my head that "pawns" are just things like xpawns that I only stick into a map as a gauge for correcting scale. So my mental definition runs something like "thing for gauging scale and having no function in the game."

Hey, I remember hearing about object oriented programing. Maybe one of these days I'll even find out what object it's oriented towards, heh.

Comment

Working...
                              X