Character animation distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Character animation distortion

Hi All, I am having a few problems AGAIN in am needing some of your much appreciated info. I am building a custom character using the skeletal rig that come with the models from the bottom of this page?

[url]http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ UnrealDemoModels#Example_Models_for_the_Unreal_En[
    /url]

The rig has 140 odd bones including full facial boning. I have rigged everything up and it all works well in Max and I thought everything was good in UnrealEd but after importing a few longish animations things have started to go very wrong. The characters mesh seems to distort.

I have tested it moving only the pelvis bone so he floats across the screen but with the same results. I have also tested it moving only the limbs and that works fine without any distortion. From this I presume it is not the animation that’s wrong

It seems to me the further away from his initial position he gets the worse the distortion, I have attached an image showing 3 of the stages.

http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/imgView.php?imgID=17721

Because I haven't used a standard rig I haven't copied and pasted another meshes properties into my model, could this have something to do with it? If so does anyone know of any game characters that use this skeleton?

If you can make head or tails of this i will appreciate your comments thank in advance!

Comment

The rig has 140 odd bones including full facial boning. I have rigged everything up and it all works well in Max and I thought everything was good in UnrealEd but after importing a few longish animations things have started to go very wrong. The characters mesh seems to distort.

I have tested it moving only the pelvis bone so he floats across the screen but with the same results. I have also tested it moving only the limbs and that works fine without any distortion. From this I presume it is not the animation that’s wrong

It seems to me the further away from his initial position he gets the worse the distortion, I have attached an image showing 3 of the stages.

http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/imgView.php?imgID=17721

Comment

I might be way off base But I think there is something that has to do with the position of your bones as they relate to the X,Y,Z axis.

By I am noob so dont quote me on it.

Comment

this is an off-the-cuff analysis, may be way off base, but it sounds like some of your vertex binding needs help -- there may be a number of "orphaned" vertices in the mesh that are either assigned to the wrong bones or not assigned at all, so they get "left behind" when the skeleton moves.

imo, you would not want to use a UT2004 character's mesh properties for this kind of model -- probably too many differences in the skeleton.

btw, what app did you use for the modeling & rigging?

Comment

Nice one guys, I'm pretty sure it's not the vertex assingnments but i'll do a few more tests. Maybe i should have explained what i am trying to do better. I am trying to use the matinee to produce an interactive demo movie for a research project and need to trigger characters to walk and talk. For that i need to set up animations in 3sd Max and import them so that they will move forward or basically where ever i need them. I have gone through the video tuts on the 3d buzz site but it dosn't mention any problems like this, so i am dumb struck.

Has anyone used the matinee function? or the next thing i need to use , Impersonator?

These are 3 stages of the character, the further he walks the more distortion http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/imgView.php?imgID=17721

PS. ive been using 3ds Max6

Comment

Incase anyone was wandering i have solved this problem by setting the level of detail strength (LOD) to zero in the mesh properties.

the engine is simply reducing the detail level of your character to save overhead on the cpu - the further the mesh gets away from it's center point.
              Thanks to the Eggman for his help.

Comment

glad you pinpointed the prob. a question: are you planning on moving your character about in a map via fully-animated moves? or by using "move in place" anims and other means to get the pawn from place-to-place in the map (as is done with the UT200x characters)?

Comment

I plan to use fully animated moves if possible' but have not done much investigation yet so am unsure of the limitations.

The characters with fully animated moves will be outwith the player control accept for being triggered by the player. I hope

Comment

Working...
                  X