Need help with my first map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    tho it doesnt matter much, i would reccomend getting the ECE version(its all red and stuff) just cause then u dont have to get the patch. i dont know y they made a whole new version just for that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for that info! I was thinking of getting the DVD version since installing from so many cd's is a real pain. But now that I know there are all those extras it really makes it worth while.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    absolutly. they explain all of the basic things, and some advanced stuff too. building bascics, terrain, movies, modeling. definatly worth it.

hmmm, im starting to sound like a salesperson:sour:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT2004 dvd edition

If your starting out mapping and you need help you cant do better then send off for the special edition dvd version of ut2004 it comes with a ton of video tuts from buzz 3d and covers everthing you need to know if you want to check out the map that it teaches you to make well worth doing then go to my site and download it to give you an idea of what it will play like.Theres some very good tuts on the net but I found the dvd video tutorials covered all I needed to know from basics to advanced bot pathing and volumes even making your own models and meshes it all there. If your into mapping then you wont regret buying the dvd edition its a must have..

www.marksmaps.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• replied
    just saw the other post s-dot made. i do that too. i generally use antiportals for zoning of outdoors, and zoneportals for indoors. same kinda thing applies tho

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Re: Volumes are bad

Originally posted by CaTdAeMoN
    your totaly wrong. thats an ANTIPORTAL :noob:
    actually, it is called a zone portal. that is y it is called that as the prefab under the specal brushes? another tip for making these zones, dont put them in big open areas. try to keep them in hallways, doorways, etc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok... At long last I think this map is ready. Thanks to everyone for all your help and ideas.

Changes\Fixes:

Fixed paths for bots
    Changed upper level doors to a trigger
    Bots no longer get stuck in upper room (See doors fix above)
    Added (2) viles behind the crate on left side of main room (find 'em)
    Added more ammo pickup's throughout
    Brightened the boiler room a little bit

Thats about it. Let me know what you guys think. Aside from any major issues I plan on releasing this in the next few days.

Download: DM-Refurbished

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MarcFou
    Fixed light 136 (Took me a while to find it)
    Uh...you know there is a "find" function in UnrealEd? It is the button at the top that looks like binoculars. Click on it and type in the name of whatever you are trying to find. So you could have just typed in "Light136" or something like that. Double clicking on it centers the view of all the ports on it. Then you can select it, etc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Re: Volumes are bad

Originally posted by CaTdAeMoN
    your totaly wrong. thats an ANTIPORTAL :noob:
    no - antiportals and zones are 2 different things. Zoning is as good for optimization as it was before we had antiportals. Antiportals can be used in open outdoor areas where you can't use zones. (You can use them indoor as well)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Check your Private Messages (PMs)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok... I tried to take everyones advice and let me say I got some really good stuff here! Thanks to everyone. Here is my latest. Please give it a try and let me know what you guys think.

I am at the point of adding the paths and calling it finished.

Thanks again for all your help!

DM-Refurbished

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by sandorski
    Very nice Map. The doors seem kinda slow though and you may want to use a Trigger instead of a touch as they tend to drag the Player and the Player ends up blocking it from opening fully(have this problem as well in a map being made).
    Marc, its at your discretion, but if you want to add triggers to the door here is a simple tutorial on how to do it:

Ambient Sounds/Triggered Events

N.B. This tutorial is a bit old, based on an earlier version of UED (probably 2.0). Also, the info on triggered events is about halfway down the tutorial. Its relatively simple to do, just gotta play around with the collision radius of the trigger and test it to see if its working OK.

EDIT: I haven't downloaded your map and checked, but if you want some info regarding sound effects (i.e. on doors/lifts etc) just let me know :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow thanks everyone! I have made many changes as follows:

Fixed light 136 (Took me a while to find it)
    Moved the Double Damage ontop of the crane in place of the viles.
    Moved the shield to the upper control room.
    Toned the lighting down a bit.
    Added light fixtures to the left and right upper levels.
    Reduced the time for all doors to open.
    Re-aligned water to cover all areas.

Pretty soon I am ready for the paths - and thnks for the info and links!

Download Updated Map Here

Leave a comment:

• replied
    for bot pathing: path nodes only link up if they are within 1100 unreal units (UU) of each other and there must be a line of sight between the two nodes.

good luck

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Very nice Map. The doors seem kinda slow though and you may want to use a Trigger instead of a touch as they tend to drag the Player and the Player ends up blocking it from opening fully(have this problem as well in a map being made). I'd also suggest adding the pilons as Karma actors so they don't act as obstacles.

Other than those 2 things the Map seems to have a very nice layout and plenty of places that can be used for cover.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X