Question about lightning and movers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about lightning and movers

Hi there. I'm new to editing in unrealed and I need some help about lighting. I'm building a map in which there is a cylinder with a hole on one side and is rotating above a lava pit, so when the hole is down, the player falls in the lava. I used a mover to create the cylinder and it works fine. My problem is that the light on the cylinder is messed up. Here are some screenshots.

You can see some strange lines on the side and the light is brighter on the side where the hole is.

And there's no light on the outside of the cylinder, exept for the side where the hole is.

What can I do to solve this?

Also, I would like to have lights passing through the hole while it's changing position, so when the hole is facing down, there would be red light coming up from the lava into the cylinder. Any idea?

My guess on the inside wall lighting situation is that, because you have a hole for the opening it has increased the number of Vertices and Faces on that part of the Static Mesh resulting in an increase of lighting effect on that wall. By creating the opening you have approx. doubled the doodads that can be lit. You might be able to counteract that effect by putting a darker Texture on that Wall, though getting it right might be difficult. Another possiblity that might work is to remove that part of the StaticMesh, then Make it into a separate StaicMesh that is attached to the Mover(the rest of the Tunnel), that way you can adjust the problematic StaticMeshes Ambient Glow to match the other Walls. Perhaps someone else has better solutions than these though.

About the Red Glow, you probably need a Triggered Emitter that will glow Red whenever the Mover is facing the Lava. I really haven't used Emitters yet, but I think you can have it fade in and out which would make it look quite realistic.

Comment

It looks like you've made the Static meshes out of BSP. You should never, ever do that. Here's why: http://angelmapper.com/tutorials/uedmeshes.htm

Comment

So it would be better to do the mesh in 3dsmax? I'll try that.
        And I'll also try the emitters for the light.

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by Xener
          So it would be better to do the mesh in 3dsmax? I'll try that.
          Yes, or any other available 3rd-party program. Also not that static meshes do not react to lighting the same way that BSP does, no matter what you use to create meshes.

Comment

Originally posted by NiTrOcALyPsE
            Also not that static meshes do not react to lighting the same way that BSP does
            In a bad way?

Comment

Yeah, Static meshes have some relatively bad lighting. In the 3D viewport, go into Lighting mode an you'll see what I mean. Static Meshes use vertex lighting, which means that the lighting is applied through the vertices of the static mesh. As such, Static meshes cannot recieve good shadow casting. Sometimes getting the lighting to look right on static meshes can be a hair-pulling challenge and is something that all good mappers struggle with.

BSP, on the other hand, has nice looking lightmaps.

Comment

Working...
              X