Differing themes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differing themes?

I've been designing a DM map recently, and am currently contemplating whether more than one theme (i.e. different textures/static mesh packages) would be appropriate for the map. This is because part of the map is interior, and the other part is exterior. As long as they are kept separate, which is what I've been testing, will the two themes work together? Or should I keep the same textures/static mesh packages throughout the entire map for consistency purposes?

I know that usually differing themes don't work well together (I've seen plenty of examples of this), but as I have interiors and exteriors, can this be an exception?

Mapping is artwork in itself. Express yourself the way you would like. Try to make it look fluid though. Gameplay to me is the MOST important part of mapping. I have played maps that were fun as well BUT looked dumb as hell. BUT I didnt care cause I was having too much fun playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by TECHBOTA
      Mapping is artwork in itself. Express yourself the way you would like. Try to make it look fluid though. Gameplay to me is the MOST important part of mapping. I have played maps that were fun as well BUT looked dumb as hell. BUT I didnt care cause I was having too much fun playing it.
      Yeah as you've said gameplay is essentially the key to any replayable map. This was one of the first things I thought about before building it. I'm gonna experiment anyway and see how the interiors/exterior comes across in Spectator mode with Bots playing it.

I'm waiting on a few things (software and hardware) before I post the map on the Beta Releases area of the UT forums, but hopefully it shouldn't be that long away now :up:

Comment

If it's interior/exterior, different themes should work fine. Mixing themes just look bad when you for example, have a gothic castle mixed with techno static meshes.

I myself am an eyecandy *****. I love maps where the world just kind of bleeds out at you. Even if the playability does suck, I have enough fun just admiring the world.

Comment

Working...
        X