Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mapping Prob...*sigh* Yes another one

How do these developers make maps?
    I subtacted a 8192x65536x65536 cube and created my terrain and it seemed really sluggish, I hit Ctrl+alt+del and found out I had used up 1.15 Gb of my Ram (luckily i have 2 gb of ram lol)
    I was wondering why this was when other massive maps that used the same process didn't have that problem?

Most likely you're using a huge terrain. You shouldn't use terrain larger than 256*256, if it's too small you can just scale it up.

Comment

It could be because all if it is beaing prossed at once instead of in pieces. like it shoudl be. You can break it up usinf anti-portals and zones. For exmple say you one one one side of a large hill and you od corse can't see one the other side rigth? So you put an anti-portal in the hill so the game won't render every thing on the otehr side of the hill.

Hope that helps that is if you didn't know about anti-portals....

Comment

That's strange. I have 1 gig of RAM and I can edit terrain much larger without major performance issues. It probably is your terrain resolution, like Shakuurn said.

Comment

k thanks, as for map scaling, is that what ppl normally do when making ONS maps? or do they just use antiportals like dragon said?

Comment

Originally posted by [SF]Stronin
            k thanks, as for map scaling, is that what ppl normally do when making ONS maps? or do they just use antiportals like dragon said?
            They do both. Scaling decreases the number of triangles overall, whereas Antiportals will decrease the number of triangles being rendered on your screen. The terrain is scaled quite high in the stock ONS maps, I recall someone saying that a single terrain triangle in ONS-Torlan was the size of a Goliath tank.

Comment

Man lol I've learn alot from this, ok one last question before I hapily start on my map, to scale terrain up what do u do, select the heightmap and then type in the scale boxes, or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by [SF]Stronin
                Man lol I've learn alot from this, ok one last question before I hapily start on my map, to scale terrain up what do u do, select the heightmap and then type in the scale boxes, or something else?
                Well, to do it properly, you'll have to redo your terrain from scratch.

If you don't really need to preserve all your painted textures, then create a 256*256 or 128*128 terrain and scale it up using this:

Go into the TerrainInfo properties and then, under TerrainInfo, there will be a field called TerrainScale. Use a moderate power of two (128 or 256, depending on how big you want your map) to scale it up.

If you want to preserve your texture layers, go into the TerrainInfo properties and scale it to a very high number. This will make the triangles very big.

After doing so, use the Visibility tool in the Terrain Editor and use ctrl+right mouse click to make terrain polygons invisible, so they will not get rendered ingame. Use this method to trim away most of your polygons at the sides. Now you basically have the equivalent of a smaller terrain, only you don't have to recreate your texture layers.

After doing so, do your terrain as you would normally.

Comment

just use G16Ed, probably for download if u google it, a special program to edit heightmaps, G16 heightmaps, and it can scale and save. Then just re-import.

But if ur using this, DON'T scale in the z direction cause it will be the same heights.

Comment

K thanks a ton guys, now on 2 mapping *rubbs his hands together*

Comment

Working...
                    X