X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bump to the top

Comment

nice tutorial, i read over it, wished i would have seen it a while ago when i started making maps, but oh well. good work, keep it up

Comment

Seeing as how it appears I am your official fanboyâ„¢, I feel it is my duty to say awesome Part IV tutorial, looking forward to Part V. I will second Axel's suggestion to maybe include some lightbulb, etc. meshes in the next part to make the lights look more realistic. I'll now take the oppurtunity to answer some questions in my infinite newbness..

flabioh: The lights are a bit dim on their default setting. For example, if you put a light in the middle of the big room, it'll only barely light the the areas directly below, above, and across from it. If you right-click on the light bulb and choose light properties, and then go to lightcolor and change the brightness, that'll help, but of course you could always just put more than 1 light. My big room has 11 I think I switched up the position and brightness and whatnot though to create a very moody setting

kevlar: I found that it's pretty impossible. The hallway is just a bit too narrow to get a perfect fit, so just move it so that the textures overlap evenly on both sides and leave it like that. You won't really notice it unless you are looking for the error though, and even then it doesn't look BAD (like the wall seams) it just looks different.

Comment

Thank you for your time and effort :up:
          Please sir, can I have some more?

Comment

Wow

Looks really great! Thanks, Fecal Marmaset for the PM heads-up. This is just the stuff I'm looking for. I've never made a thing and this is what a newbie like me needs to get started. Thanks.

Comment

Great Tut and keep um coming. No rush though I mean if you have a life don't forget to live that too. But if you are like me you don't realy have a life worth living so you make Tuts for other people.

Comment

Great tutorial m8, although i am having two problems. One is a texture problem when i joined the rooms no matter what i do i've still got a joining line on one side of texture.

The other (i soldiered on thinking i'll get back to the texture problem) is the the walkway, I' cant get it to match up with the two hallways its out what looks to be about 6 inches or so. In your tut it looks like that you have put the joining mesh slightly into the two hallways but when i do this it doesent look all that good. Any ideas? I'll try and post a pic later on in the day

Comment

Just thought I would join the rest in saying thankyou for your effort in making these tutorials. I made a few for editing HalfLife a few years ago and I know the work that goes into producing just one tutorial.

One request though. (You knew there would be one ). Do you have the space to have some of the pictures linked to full sized ones, especially for the mesh section. It would be nice to see how you got the sections lined up.

Comment

Speak To Epic

It's clear from this thread that everyone is very pleased with Noctivagus for giving us such an enjoyable tutorial.

May I suggest that Epic speak to Noctivgus and arrange to link/host his tutorial on the official site. They may even want to include it with a future patch.

Once the tut is pdf'd, can someone please let me know the link to it?

Thanks

Comment

well...i hope you add quick a part about errain cause its now interresistng, inst it?

i want to build a mixed map...half indoor and half outdoor...
                      so i have to know how to build a terrain so the map could look good

Comment

I'll attempt to answer some more questions from what I've found to work

Chluke: With the texture problems, did you move not just the central hall texture but one of the rooms too? You have to do both, since the hall is shorter than normal. To maybe explain better, let's say the hall texture looks like "ABCDEF," and ideally you want all your hall texture to be something like "ABCDEFABCEDFABCDEF..." and so on and so forth smoothly and unbroken. However, your little connector hall is only half the length of the texture though, so it'd look more like "ABC." So if you should try to line up all the rooms it'd look something like this.. "ABCDEF-ABC-ABCDEF." And C does not match up with A (and F does). So you have to move the right wall texture so that it ends up looking like "ABCDEF-ABC-DEFABC." I know that looks confusing but I hope it helped :weird:. The second problem I found to be solvable by moving the joining pieces up or down 1 or 2 notches on the Z axis, and then fiddling with the X/Y axises. If you move the Z it'll change the appearance slightly in the X/Y regular stuff. You have to mess with it for a few minutes to get it right though it seems.

Comment

Still havin' trouble with the lightin'

Preeminince: Thanks for the response. However, I think my troubles are a little more severe than that. Even if I add 16 lights to a 256x256x256 room, I will still get some of the walls not lit AT ALL. Not even a speck of light seems to shine on them. I have adjusted the brightness of all the lights, and have adjusted the radius of how much light spreads out (I can't remember what it is called) but still the same results. Everything seems to be just fine up until I build the lights, but immediately after the lights will brightly light up 2 or 3 walls, but the rest of the walls in the 256x256x256 room will be totally black. Should I just uninstall and reinstall the editor? Is there a quick way to uninstall just the editor without uninstalling the whole game and then reinstall just the editor? Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Bump BUMP

Comment

Well Noc. Thanks muchly for pt4. Now I realise what I was doing wrong with regards to the stairs (my own stupid fault mind you). ANyway, please can you give me a clue as to correcting my diagonal texture query. Please bare in mind that my texturing is without problems up to this point and its not a 45 degree slope. Its much more gentle a slope than that (probably around 20 degrees or so).

Comment

Re: Still havin' trouble with the lightin'

Hey all,

Sorry I didn't make it back to the forums yesterday. Work called and decided to use me and abuse me for a turn to Dallas.

Originally posted by flabioh
                                Preeminince: Thanks for the response. However, I think my troubles are a little more severe than that. Even if I add 16 lights to a 256x256x256 room, I will still get some of the walls not lit AT ALL. Not even a speck of light seems to shine on them. I have adjusted the brightness of all the lights, and have adjusted the radius of how much light spreads out (I can't remember what it is called) but still the same results. Everything seems to be just fine up until I build the lights, but immediately after the lights will brightly light up 2 or 3 walls, but the rest of the walls in the 256x256x256 room will be totally black. Should I just uninstall and reinstall the editor? Is there a quick way to uninstall just the editor without uninstalling the whole game and then reinstall just the editor? Thanks again for your help.
                                Hmm...two possibilities: the texture is special lit or the lighting is positioned so that a shadow is cast over the dark walls. A special lit texture won't light at all, except with a light that has bSpecialLit set to True. So, open up the surface properties for that texture and activate the Flags tab. Look to see if anything is checked--in this case, "Special Lit". If it is, uncheck it and rebuild the lighting.

Also, try positioning a light directly in front of the dark walls and rebuild the lighting. When a light is first placed in a level, it isn't blocked by any geometry, so the light appear brighter. However, when you rebuild the lighting, UnrealEd computes how the light should fall on the surfaces of geometry, which sometimes darken walls that fall outside the light radius or are angled in a way so that light doesn't touch that surface. Think of a light that is positioned in the corner of a room with a hallway. If the hallway is at a 90 degree angle to the light's position, the hallway will appear dark (of course in the real world, light will bounce off surfaces make the hallway appear a little brighter than in the game).

You shouldn't have to reinstall the editor, but if you decide to try that, you don't have to uninstall the game. You can simply place the CD in the tray, and a box should pop up that will give you the option of installing the game again. This will overwrite the old files and set everything back to default values. Of course, if you've already played through the single-player ladder, this will reset that as well (it just means you'll have to play the game some more...aww, shucks ). But, with the old version of the editor, this was a necessity every now and then as sometimes things would go a little awry, and it appears it might be a necessity with the current version.

Hope this helps!

Noctivagus

Comment

Working...
                                X