Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

New Beginner tutorial...UPDATED 11/03/02

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At last!

Well, I just put the finishing touches on Part IV of the tutorial, and it's uploaded and ready to go. The link is http://www.screenwritersworkshop.com...vel_part4.html .

I'm also about to begin work on Part V. (I made the mistake of drinking a cup of coffee at about 10 p.m., and sleep isn't happening for a little while yet. )

Now, as you work through this next installment, don't pull out your clubs and start beating me...I still haven't gotten to adding weapons yet. I covered a lot of information on adding static meshes and stairs as well as touching briefly on optimization of BSP brushes. But, I promise that weapons will be included in Part V.

As always, I'm open to any comments you have--good or bad. And, thanks for all the positive encouragement. They've served as a great motivator to get these tutorials written! :up:

Enjoy!

Noctivagus

Comment

waiting patiently for part 5....

Seriously, don't stop! It's really easy to follow the way you lay it out. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Just to reiterate what everyone else has already said.. great work! :up:

I used to be pretty handy with UED a couple of years ago, but have long since forgotten it's nook and crannies. Your tutorials are bringing it all back as well as teaching me the new aspects of the editor.

Thanks for putting in all the effort, hugely appreciated.

Comment

Good work, easy to floow setp by step titorials, nice one

I did editing with the Q3 engine and honstely i'm find this esditor harder to move objects around, in radient all you did was hihlight a entity and drag it, here, holdingdown shift, control etc is a bit harder to get used to, but i'm slowly getting there.

When do doors and sky box's come in?

Comment

Stunning tutorial, keep up the good work.

Just wondered if you were going to put it into pdf or Word format?

Comment

Noctivagus !!! This Tutorial totaly rocks!!!! Thanks for the effort!!!

Is it be possible to get a downloadable version of it in .doc format or other??
              So I can save it and Print it.. some things don't always print properly from IE.

Thanks Again!!!!

-IJ

:up: :up:

Comment

Originally posted by IronJammer
                Noctivagus !!! This Tutorial totaly rocks!!!! Thanks for the effort!!!

Is it be possible to get a downloadable version of it in .doc format or other??
                So I can save it and Print it.. some things don't always print properly from IE.

Thanks Again!!!!

-IJ

:up: :up:
                Your right, I am having trouble printing it too, formatting and fonts get screwed occasionally. It would be great if it was in pdf or doc format.

Comment

Your tutorials are amazing...

Thanks so much for putting in the effort. I thought you may forget about doing the rest of them, as they must take up a lot of your time... but I was so excited when i saw the updated thread.

Feel free to put a small guest book or message board on your site so we can put our messages of thanks down for all to see.

Keep up the good work! We all appreciate it.

May be we can make this a sticky, as it is what many people are looking for!

Comment

Nice Job! However...

First off, simply spectacular tut. I haven't seen a more thorough and step by step one yet. However, I seem to be having trouble with the lighting step. I don't know if it is something stupid I screwed up before using the tutorial or what, but I can't seem to get proper lighting. I am following your instructions exactly, and everything looks honky dory up to the point where I am looking at the dynamic lighting perspective and the lighting looks just fine with the single light lighting up all four walls, the ceiling and floor. However, as soon as I hit "build lighting" or "build all" the dynamic perspective window shows only a couple of walls lit and maybe the ceiling. I will then try and adjust the light a little, and as soon as I do the lighting looks fine again. However, when I build again, the same thing happens: only a couple of walls will be lit and the others completely black. Is there some type of build option I could have screwed up? Or is there something else that is going on? Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and I have tried redoing the map about 5 times with the same results. Thanks again for the tutorial though!

Comment

As everyone else has said, thanks for the tutorial, it great, but I don't think my wife will thank you, I'm addicted!

A quick question, is it possible to line up the little bridging sections with the hallway perfectly? I don't seem to be able to do it. If you line up the leading edge with the floor, you get holes on the sides where the little angle pieces end higher than the leading edge. If you line up the top edge with the hallway floor you get a shimmering where textures overlap. If you set the top edge one unit below the hallway floor, it works ok but you get a small step. Am I missing something here?

keep up the good work

Kevlar69

Comment

Word and PDF formats available!

I have the tut reformatted for Word 2000 (sorry, pre 2000ers and WordPerfecters), and converted the Word documents to PDF files so they can also be read in Acrobat.

The bad news is all the images are embedded, so the Word doc is 1 Meg, and the PDF file is about 2.5 Megs. I also have these broken down into the Table of Contents as a standalone, and each of the four parts individually, again in both Word and PDF formats.

If anyone wants these emailed, or feels like hosting some files, let me know!

Comment

Hey Worf,

Excellent work! Thanks for packing up the tutorials. I was thinking about doing it myself, but that'll save me the trouble. Go ahead and email them to me in separate emails (I'm not too sure what the limit per email is for my email account, and I'm on dialup, so it'll just be easier to do them one at at time) and I'll upload them to my server and link them off the intro page.

To those of you with questions: I tried to answer some questions earlier, but kept running into those "Server is too busy" messages and constant database errors. :sour: I gave up, but I'll get back to you in a little bit. (Hopefully this message will get through...)

Take care,
                          Noctivagus

Comment

I have been trying to register with these forums today (trouble with my mail ).
                            My reason for this is to thank Notivagus for the tutorials.

Please keep them coming,they are excellent and I am following them every installment.

So little good info on the new version of the editor maiking your contribution all the more valuable.

Exellent Work

I saulte you.:up:

Comment

Noctivagus
                              This one could go on to be the definative guide m8
                              I hope after this (basic stuff) you move on to zones, water, lava etc. Your's could go down as the #1 site for ued3.

Got a question for you though m8, i made maps, long time ago now and just having them lights glowing there in the level looks a bit 'iffy' can you jog our memories in a later tute on where the light meshes/models are please, so we can add them to make the rooms look more realistic?

many thanks m8

axel

Comment

Very cool your tuts for newbies like us. Keep on!.
                                If anyone knows about building heightmaps to use the terrain editor, plz go ahead on the tut.

Comment

Working...
                                X