Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are great Thanks (One on making good water would be nice too)

Comment

Originally posted by MegaDaisy
      Hi all

Well I finally got the chance to go through the second part of the terrain tutorial last night and its so fantastically well written... gold star and 2 house points to Noctivagus

Anyway, for CurlyJ and others having trouble lining up the arch-way into the terrain Ive got a work around. I had a look at some of the maps from in the game and what they do in those maps is they cheat! The use bsp geometry to create a nice large flat face that intersects with the ground and then just plonk the arch-way or door onto that. Take a look at December at the bottom of the dry dock where theres doors going into the indoor bits.

I know this isnt what Noctivagus was getting at, but it ended a lot of frustration for me.

MegaDaisy

PS Skyboxes next please Mr Noctivagus
      Thanx I will give that a go!!

Comment

Originally posted by MegaDaisy
        Anyway, for CurlyJ and others having trouble lining up the arch-way into the terrain Ive got a work around. I had a look at some of the maps from in the game and what they do in those maps is they cheat! The use bsp geometry to create a nice large flat face that intersects with the ground and then just plonk the arch-way or door onto that. Take a look at December at the bottom of the dry dock where theres doors going into the indoor bits.
        Okay...confession time. Yeah, I actually backed the door with a BSP brush, which was just a cube with another brush to subtract the walkway area. Then, as many of you experienced for yourselves, it's impossible to make a doorway fit perfectly with the removed parts of the terrain. To fill the holes, I surrounded the doorway and brush with rock meshes from ArboreaLandscape. I had to make a couple of them smaller using the sizing options on the bottom right of the UED screen, both for cosmetic reasons (a little variability in the rock) and to patch some of the smaller holes. I guess I should've been a little more clear on that in the tutorial...oh well, one more thing to add to my update list.

Noctivagus

Comment

yah, sky box chapter would be good, focusing on the tricks of setting them up and removing those naughty seams.

likewise, a step through doing movers would be good, since the UDN site isnt quite right.

set key0 to base
          set key1 to base
          set key2 to moved position

that's how i was able to do it, which is very counter intuitive (in that key0 ends up base and key1 ends up the moved position).

Comment

2 New Tutorials!!

Hey folks,

There are two new tutorials for you to check out.

The first tutorial is written by Kosh and covers how to create an animated, fading preview for your levels. You can check it out at http://www.planetunreal.com/architec..._tutorial.html .

The second tutorial covers movers and lifts, written by Rob Nelson. It's the first part of a two-part series and includes how to create a lift, add bot support, and give it some sound. Check it out at http://www.planetunreal.com/architectonic/lifts.html .

Both of these tutorials are excellent and cover topics that many of you have asked about. (And, it saves my fingers a little more from potential carpal tunnel syndrome )

Enjoy!

Noctivagus

Comment

Originally posted by TseTse
              yah, sky box chapter would be good, focusing on the tricks of setting them up and removing those naughty seams.

likewise, a step through doing movers would be good, since the UDN site isnt quite right.

set key0 to base
              set key1 to base
              set key2 to moved position

that's how i was able to do it, which is very counter intuitive (in that key0 ends up base and key1 ends up the moved position).
              Well, yes and no. The real way to set movers is, select Key 0, drag your mover to its starting position (or leave it there). Then select Key 1, drag your mover to its other position. If you have multiple places to move, select Key 2, 3, etc, and drag the mover to each new position. Otherwise, select Key 0 and you will see it snap back to starting position. It's not counter-intuitive, it's just backwards. Select the key, THEN set the mover.

Comment

Re: 2 New Tutorials!!

Originally posted by Noctivagus
                The first tutorial is written by Kosh and covers how to create an animated, fading preview for your levels. You can check it out at http://www.planetunreal.com/architec..._tutorial.html.
                Woot!

Comment

Re: 2 New Tutorials!!

Originally posted by Noctivagus
                  Hey folks,

There are two new tutorials for you to check out.

The first tutorial is written by Kosh and covers how to create an animated, fading preview for your levels. You can check it out at http://www.planetunreal.com/architec..._tutorial.html .

The second tutorial covers movers and lifts, written by Rob Nelson. It's the first part of a two-part series and includes how to create a lift, add bot support, and give it some sound. Check it out at http://www.planetunreal.com/architectonic/lifts.html .

Both of these tutorials are excellent and cover topics that many of you have asked about. (And, it saves my fingers a little more from potential carpal tunnel syndrome )

Enjoy!

Noctivagus
                  Smart!!

Comment

Excellent - many more thanks Noctivagus. More stuff to play around with over the weekend

A top tip for aother newbie mappers out there following all these tutorials is to get a second monitor setup if you can manage it - then youve got your main monitor for UnrealEd and your second one for your web browser. Cool!

MegaDaisy - still having problems with my skybox

Comment

Hi...
                      Iv'e been going through your Terrain tutorial (which is great BTW) a but i'm creating my next level and i need a very high terrain. I'm having trouble getting the hight map to the right hight. You did not mention the scaling of the hight map in your Tutorial so i wondering if there was any chance of you enlighting us?

Comment

Hi, just started your tutorial on making your first level. I'm stuck, maybe you or a fellow reader could help me out.

I made a 256x512x512 cube and then I subtracted it. The box is white, not textured with a default texture like the tutorial says it should be. After which I move into the mass of white and am unable to select any wall of the subtraction, so I can't really get very far. Thanks for everyones time in advance -Derek

Comment

Originally posted by skubydew
                          Hi, just started your tutorial on making your first level. I'm stuck, maybe you or a fellow reader could help me out.

I made a 256x512x512 cube and then I subtracted it. The box is white, not textured with a default texture like the tutorial says it should be. After which I move into the mass of white and am unable to select any wall of the subtraction, so I can't really get very far. Thanks for everyones time in advance -Derek
                          Is your Real Time Preview window (the one that shows the world in 3D in Textured or Dynamic Lighting modes? If not that could be you problem. Both lighting and zone mode go all white with only a box. Hope this helps...

Comment

There are icons above the perspective window that you can change to different view types. You are probably selected on the "lighting" icon. Click on a different icon like "texture" and you should be good to go.

Comment

Thanks guys, both of you nailed the answer, thanks.

Comment

well..great job noctavius...(how often was this allready said??)

but ive got a question...

if i wanna make a ctf-map ,wich were better mirrored but ive got terrain whta can i do to copy that?
                                just copy the terrain- and zone actor?

well... ive got often problems with editing the terrain cause without lots of train it sucks in 3d view...
                                y didnt make it the programmers
                                possible to edit the terrain also in a 2d-view or smth. like that...

anyway...its hard to edit the terrain without make misstakes...

-------------

i also got a prob after i make a nice pit in my level i continued with the tut and make a new layer, BUT then after painting some rocks i remembered that i forgot the level outside the pit.
                                i changed back to the first layer but if i want to higher the ground, nothin' happens!

i changed the strengh n make also a new layer...but there was only one result: nothin'

can U only make one terrainpart with one layer n the new layer is only to change textures??

so...lpz help me and i'm lucky!

Comment

Working...
                                X