Weapon Model: Longbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapon Model: Longbow

OK, the last week has been a huge learning experience for me. I think I'm getting the hang of unwrapping models now, as it doesn't take me 14 hours anymore to unwrap even low poly models. :P

Anyway, here is my first shot at skinning. The bow was about 2 hours of work, and the skin job was a LOT longer - mostly because I had to learn how to use Photoshop. :bulb:

Photoshop is pretty **** nice though! So much more control over the images than in MS Paint (the only thing I've been using until now), and now there are only a few things that I don't know how to do that I can do in MS Paint. But I'm sure I'll figure that out later. :P

Anyway, let me know what you think?

**EDIT** The bow is 392 triangles.

Teach me
    That's a really good model and skin for a first time. Good Job :up:

Comment

Its not my first model. Aside from perportions and a few intermediat and advanced things, I know most of the basics of modeling and have that down pretty good. The bow only took me a little bit to whip out. But the unwraping I had to do twice, becuase the first unwrap I did, didn't work very well for me when I was skinning. The second one was much better. Here is the unwrap, as you can see, I sorta cheated.

As you can see, I've folded one half of the model over onto itself, then folded it over again. This is basically the way I built the model itself too, using a mirrored instance and then another cloned copy.

Comment

Have you attempted to import into UnrealEd yet? I'm not too sure that a cloned instance of an object would work all that well!

BrandonL

Comment

I can't play UT2k3 right now (for some reason my graphics card is dying on me, but i have a new one in the mail right now). Are you talking about the texture or the model? The model is not a cloned instance now. I only did that during modeling. Once i was done, I deleted the instance, and clone-copied it and attached the verticies. So right now, the model is all one *object*. If you're talking about the texture map, I was under the impression its common to overlap UVW's to save time texturing.

Comment

I was talking about the model. It was advised against in an ActorX tutorial to clone/instance.

Comment

Still looking good AkumuX, I have textured well over a hundred meshes in Maya PLE and Gmax, but only use Maya's planar, cylindrical and spherical mapping tools. Someday, I will have to learn to unwrap. I cannot believe you would still be using MS paint!! Man, I gave that up over 10 years ago! And I thought I was in the dark ages just because I still use Photo Paint

Comment

Looks good

That looks good When will it be able to be downloaded?

Comment

Very nice for your first skinning........hey, checkout
                  http://www.unwrap3d.com .....I use this to uvmap. It's interactive and works with Photoshop great! Changes take place right away as you paint in Photoshop!

Comment

Working...
                  X