Lock Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lock Down

Can anyone give me any tips for locking down my level to where nothing it editable by other people. This would really help out! Thanx!

I think Angel Mapper has a map theft deterrence script , check her site.

Though why lock it? If someone wants to use your work its a compliment and credits will be given.
    If anyone uses the content without your permission the community ( well I certainly would) make thier internet life ( and there personal one..if they live local) a living hell...

Comment

backup your finished file just in case...then after you rebuild all...select all your brushes and delete them...save and don't rebuild....

Comment

Not again......

What is it with people suddenly wanting to 'protect' their work? If you're that worried about people stealing/ editing/ ripping content from your map, don't release it into the public sector.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but more and more people seem to be going this route, and frankly the end result will be no more modding community, because everyone will be so **** about other people stealing their work that nothing will get released. Worst case scenario, fair enough, but it won't take long for it to happen if everyone jumps onto the band wagon.

Comment

Didnt see it on Angel Mapper's site. They can still change and take off a logo by importing it and selecting the place of my old one and adding theres and saving without rebuilding.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaber
            Not again......

What is it with people suddenly wanting to 'protect' their work? If you're that worried about people stealing/ editing/ ripping content from your map, don't release it into the public sector.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but more and more people seem to be going this route, and frankly the end result will be no more modding community, because everyone will be so **** about other people stealing their work that nothing will get released. Worst case scenario, fair enough, but it won't take long for it to happen if everyone jumps onto the band wagon.
            When I spend 20+ hours on a map I would like it to stay the same. When I create little maps then I dont care who messes with them! Thats sucks when they take out my tradmarks when I made the map!:sour:

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

there was post about this not while ago...search the forums...

Comment

Originally posted by Davs
                  there was post about this not while ago...search the forums...
                  Thats the first thing I did. I didnt find nothing!

Comment

Anyone Else?

Comment

Originally posted by carlosjr1985
                      When I spend 20+ hours on a map
                      Is that all?

Here's the other thread you couldn't find.

Comment

Thats the first thing I did. I didnt find nothing!
                        Yeah, nothing is pretty hard to find. It usually hides away in a dark corner.

Comment

Actually, this is a significant issue. The problem was brought to light by hellbenderrace and scorpionrace, which some people took and modified without permission from the original mapmaker and didn't give credit or anything.
                          Sadly, the thread concerning these two maps has vanished due to old age, but I think he did the following in his final releases to avoid plagarism:
                          1. Finish the map completely, recompile.
                          2. Save, then copy the saved map file into another directory so you have a backup.
                          3. Delete all BSP brushes. DO NOT RECOMPILE.
                          4. Save, release.

This should avoid anyone messing with your map without permission. =) If they try to recompile, they'll be left with a brushless map, and prolly lots of errors.

Comment

If you are going to do it, do it the way PlaysLikeAGirl suggested.

Angels script causes the editor to crash, plus can have some harmfull redirect issues.

Although I would be happy to see you not lock it down at all. In the scheme of things, few really care who made the map and just want to have a good game. I look at it as a limitation to the gaming community as a whole. You can only add to it by keeping everything available to everyone, with no limitations.

Epic is the only one who makes anything from the game.
                            Map authors just add to it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

True, it would be preferrable is no such action was necessary. It's more of a respect thing; I remember back with DOOM2, all maps were editable by anyone who obtained them [thereby the hundreds of M01 modifications ], but usually map authors included a .txt with all pertinent information, i.e. name, email, etc. Then, if people are respectful, they'll mention the original author and/or ask permission when rehashing a map.
                              The major thing though, IMHO, is that leaving a map intact helps new mapmakers. I'm still learning UED [ph33r my n00b skillz!], but I've learned a ~LOT~ just by opening other maps and seeing how things were done by others.

Comment

Working...
                              X