Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone notice the new non-game UE2 Runtime??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone notice the new non-game UE2 Runtime??

Just wondering what the differences may be in the "new" UE2 runtime engine aimed at "Non-Game" applications, which is posted at:

http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Powered...ngine2Runtime/

The obvious differences are some interesting toys; moving trees, pretty waterfall, distance cueing on the fog, a simplified menu UI, etc.... anything else?? (some of the effects, distance cue'd fog, pretty waterfall, may be in the UT2kx, its just that I have not been able to determine the settings to obtain them)

Any new Engine enhancements or other goodies I've missed?

It's not 'Non-game', just non-profit for non-commertial use. You can use it to make a game as long as it's your own content etc and not being used to make money.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaber
      It's not 'Non-game', just non-profit for non-commertial use. You can use it to make a game as long as it's your own content etc and not being used to make money.
      I am not being argumentative, but the UDN website UE2 description mentions the non-game aspect--- ( from http://udn.epicgames.com/ )

Want to harness the power of the second-generation Unreal engine for your non-game application? The UnrealEngine2Runtime lets you work with the core Unreal technology without the video game trappings. Plus, it's free for non-commercial use!

....as well as what you mention of the "non-commercial" aspect, which would explain why you have the entire engine as a FREE download.

I mainly was just wondering if there were any goodies or features buried in this release that may not be in the latest UT2k3 release. ...or may be a preview some goodies coming in UT2004.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCamper
        I mainly was just wondering if there were any goodies or features buried in this release that may not be in the latest UT2k3 release. ...or may be a preview some goodies coming in UT2004.
        There's no game content in it, and RE: sneak peek at 2k4 stuff: :haha: :bulb:

Comment

Don't laugh Rachel, this build does actually have some of the upgraded vehicle code from 2K4 with it

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaber
            Originally posted by MrCamper
            I am not being argumentative, but the UDN website UE2 description mentions the non-game aspect--- ( from http://udn.epicgames.com/ )
            Vito speaketh.

Comment

can anybody elaborate on what the geometry editing button does?

I checked udn, but this is all it has

Geometry Editing

This feature is unknown at this time.

Comment

As im at uni next year studing computer games design and development this is of great intrest to me

How many others will be playing about with this now its out ?, im tempted to create a site / forums for it, but would be pointless if not enough people were intrested.

Comment

Geometry editing? Didn't notice that.......

Man, if they've somehow added functionality for editing meshes while in Ued.......holy **** that would be amazing! I'm not getting excited until there's confirmation of what it's actually for Hmm.....can't see it happening though, but man it would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent-X(UK)
                    As im at uni next year studing computer games design and development this is of great intrest to me
                    There's already almost offical forums over at BeyondUneral. There won't be any here because the runtime isn't an Atari product.

Comment

Originally posted by inio
                      There's already almost offical forums over at BeyondUneral. There won't be any here because the runtime isn't an Atari product.
                      cool, cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X