Scripted Sequences and AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scripted Sequences and AI

Does anyone have any experience doing AI? I have followed the tutorials for making Scriped sequences, but the actions that I setup never works. Is there something I am missing or is the Scripted Sequences and AI in Unreal incomplete?
    Here is what I do:
    1. Place an UnrealScriptedSequence in the level
    2. Setup a controller
    3. Setup the actions
    4. Create an xPawn
    5. Link the AI Tag to the UnrealScriptedSequence

Also, my xPawn somehow goes retarded when the level starts. Before I enter the level, the pawn actually walks around and pretends that he is intelligent, but as soon as I enter the level, he just freezes. Am I missing some attributes in ScriptedSequences?
    Thanks

What, exactly, are you trying to achieve? First thing I'd suggest is not using an UnrealScriptedSequence, as that's a special class specially designed to use as defense points for bots in team games. Go up a level and use the regular ScriptedSequence instead.

Other than that, some more info on what you're trying to do would help

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaber
      What, exactly, are you trying to achieve? First thing I'd suggest is not using an UnrealScriptedSequence, as that's a special class specially designed to use as defense points for bots in team games. Go up a level and use the regular ScriptedSequence instead.
      Hm, as far as i know you could also use the UnrealScriptedSequence - more important is the correct ControllerClass - Scripted Controller.
      (Might be that the Tutorials he's referring to is from 3dbuzz, as they use the USS there)
      But maybe I'm mistake, is there any disadvantage in using the UnrealScriptedSequence instead of the ScriptedSequence ?

For beginners, just try to make your first scene as simple as possible, use only things like movetopoint or other "easy-to-use" actions.
      You problem seems to be that the xPawn isn't using any base animation, make the first action to a PlayAnim and let him "Rest_Idle" (which means he will stand still).

Comment

There's no "specific" disadvantages to using an UnrealSS, it just defaults the actions to MoveToPoint and WaitForTimer, and of course also has the additional menu for setting bot behaviour while defending. It's just an extention of ScriptedSequence. But there's no point in using it if you're working with Matinee or AI scripting, as it does nothing that would help in either of these scenarios.

Comment

Making Smart Enemies and Pathnodes

I am trying to build smart Enemies that don't just run around randomly in the levels. I would like to make a robot that will shoot at me, and as I get closer, he will run back and shoot again. I'm not trying to make movies, I need the SS for ingame Enemy AI.
          Also, is it possible to make individual pathnodes for specific pawns. I don't want pawns following random pathnodes, I'd like to make it so that specific pawns follow specific pathnodes.

Comment

#1] If{condition}Action=LeaveScriptForCombat

#2] Give your pathnodes a tag & use Action/MoveToPoint/PathNode[#]
            You'll at least be able to get them moving in the right direction.

GL,
            -=sneak

Comment

Detialed Tutorial

Is there a step by step tutorial telling me how to do all of this? I am seriously lost. I selected "ACTION_IFCondition" like you had recomended, but what do I put as the Triggered ConditionTag? What is the Controller Class? Doesn't every pawn have a Controller and every Controller have a pawn already setup in its Defaults? How do I jump between scripts? sorry for all the questions, if you could direct me to a good tutorial or help me with this I would really appreciate it. I have already read all about SS on UDN, but they don't do Step by Step tutorials to show you how to set them up to make ingame enemy AI.

Comment

http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/uunr_vtmlist.php?c=13

Go there & look at the matinee tutorials.
                You want to grab #7 - about 1/3 of the way into it.. it starts a step by step process.

-=sneak

Comment

Are SS only for making in game movies

Thanks for the tutorial, but unfortunately I haven't d/led the tutorial yet because I have a 28k connection. Thanks a lot regardless. Does anyone have any HTML text tutorials? So far all of the really detailed tutorials I have seen are for making movie scenes. Are SS only for making movies? I mean, can we use it for in game Bot control also? Thanks

Comment

If you're talking about single player, then yes, SS's are the way to go. But for MP games.......it's unlikely. The way an UnrealScriptedSequence works is by tapping into the main Game Objective (CTF Flag, Bomb Delivery, DOM Point etc) and then basically telling the bots on defending duty that they should stand at this spot to defend the objective (using preferred weapon, sniping etc). If you don't attach the USS to a gameobjective, then it'll be hooked into the Freelance bots instead (normally a bot on Freelance orders will freelance until the first cap is scored - or point or whatever - and then stay mostly on defense. Adding a few USS around a level with no associated GameObjective will generally get Freelance bots moving around a lot more and avoid them going defensive too soon).

I'd think it would probably be possible to do what you want, but I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to do some scripting and add some custom SciptedSequences into your maps.

Comment

Working...
                    X