BSP ->> Static mesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSP ->> Static mesh

How do I convert like a stair case into a static mesh from Bsp ?

Right klick on the brush, Convert>To Static Mesh. Then save the package if it's not in myLevel.
    If you put it in myLevel package then you must place the mesh in your map in order to be saved. MyLevel package saves itself automaticaly with the map so don't save it manualy.

Comment

The best way, would be to use an external program like 3D Studio Max, Lightwave, or Maya. However they don't come cheap.

If you want to do it in UEd, you can, but it's not a very "sound" method. The results are not as desirable.

If your staircase is simple (not spiral) make one step into the mesh and then duplicate it, if possible. That way the mesh will work with the engines theory of "rendering" one mesh(1st step) and then "caching" the rest of the meshes. (steps)

Make the step as you would normally. (additive) Right click it and Convert/To Static Mesh....save it in mylevel.....(no group necessary)...and name it "stairs" or something.

After that, you have to give it collision.
      Add the mesh to your level, and surround it with a simple shape using the red builder brush. Make the shape snug, and get it around the mesh exactly. Make sure nothing in the map is selected....including the builder brush. Right click on the mesh and select SaveBrushAsCollision. You can check your collision by viewing the mesh in the mesh browser, and selecting View/ShowCollision. It will appear as a pink shape.

That's it......remember this is not the best way to do things, so don't rely on it. Try to get yourself into MayaPLE. (disc 3 of UT2003).

Comment

Originally posted by Fecal Marmaset
        That's it......remember this is not the best way to do things, so don't rely on it. Try to get yourself into MayaPLE. (disc 3 of UT2003).
        Fecal is right.....Maya is a little annoying to learn, but if you use the free VTMs you can avoid problems.

Comment

Re: BSP ->> Static mesh

Originally posted by fRiJeC
          How do I convert like a stair case into a static mesh from Bsp ?
          NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Comment

Angel.....don't get all crazy on us! :bulb:

I explained that it wasn't the right/best way to do things. I knew you'd be along to throw in yer 2 cents in.

He's probably making some simple box stairs.....and doesn't want them to wreak havoc with the rest of the BSP. (occlusion)

To be honest....i'm still hesitant on starting to use an external program, because of all the (what seems to be) hassles I read of people trying to use them.

I have access to the latest versions of all of these programs, but don't know which to use. Somebody here that uses Lightwave said it's a great program, once you get the hang of it. Well....10 minutes into the tutorial I was following, (just to set up the settings) I realized my interface was different. Don't get me wrong....i'm not lazy.....but ****, I couln't even get started because the "grid size" couldn't be adjusted correctly.

By way of comparison....(maybe you could understand this Angel, now that you've gone "pro")....A local Game Company was eager to see what I was capable of, and my buddies there agreed to nurse-maid me through the usage of the Q3 engine. I had been working with UEd for 2 years, and I had to start using something almost completely different. (*shudder*)
            I guess I could have stuck with Q3.....but I would forever be yearning for UT. Sure I could have kept working with both, but I needed to stay focused, because I had dreams of possible employment.

Long story short...(too late)...I don't want to "get married" to a program, if I know there's a possibility of something performing so much better.

[Thread Hijack] ...Any opinions on what to use?

Comment

When you convert a BSP staircase to a static mesh you get these horrible dotty lines in it (along the vertice edges). It also will not light up properly either (not enough vertice points for that disgusting vertice lighting Epic uses on statics). You will not be able to do it properly!! Leave it as BSP!!

Comment

@Fecal - Go with 3dmax 5, trust me on that Head to this tut:

http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/kelbeau/.../contents.html

It shows you how to set up the grid for Ued scales, and also a load of other useful stuff too (including vertex painting, the technique used on meshes like the ones in Magma, where 2 textures 'merge' into each other like they would in terrain painting).

My biggest reason for using Max (other than the fact I like the program ) is that it exports directly to .ase natively. Oh, and actorx works flawlessly too. Oh, and you have access to all the original character skeletons, animations, and other goodies that DE released

Go with Max :up:

Comment

Thanks man.....good endorsement. :up:

And a tute to back it.

Comment

Yeah, I started into 3d Max a few months before 2k3 came out, took awhile to get used to the camera movements and making stuff, I used to keep trying to do UEd's camera movements in Max and vice versa. :bulb: I'm better now.

Comment

Comment

lol, yeah I had that problem with Max too

Comment

personally i like maya better but well this been discussed a couple times already and its just a matter of personal preference.

Comment

THREAD HIJACK !!!

well im not familiar with any 3d program. The converting in only for simple things not detailed stuff.

Comment

Re: Re: BSP ->> Static mesh

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
                              NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
                              Lol, that one was expected

Comment

Working...
                              X